    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 19, 2002
      The "Calendar of the Soul"
        The cycle of the year can be a meditation through which you can sense the Beings behind the changing of the seasons. Steiner gave out the 'Calendar of the Soul' to use for this, 52 meditative mantras enabling you to consciously experience the 'astral' (soul) events occurring within you and in Nature during the year. These verses are well known to many anthroposophists---- but the original Calendar published in 1912 ALSO had 12 Images of the Zodiac (to be meditated with each month to sense the working of the 'solar' forces in the cosmos in the day), a listing of the Moon's phases and position in the constellations each night (for sensing the 'lunar' forces), and a list of saints and other spiritual figures connected with specific days of the week. We're presenting all that here. As far as we know this is the first time this has been done since 1912.
          We begin with the mantra in the original German and in translation:

      *  M A N T R A  # 3 0  *

      Es spriessen mir im Seelensonnenlicht
      Des Denkens reife Früchte
      In Selbstbewusstseins Sicherheit
      Verwandelt alles Fühlen sich.
      Empfinden kann ich freudevoll
      Des Herbstes Geisterwachen:
      Der Winter wird in mir
      Den Seelensommer wecken.

      There sprouts in Soul-Sun-Light
      The ripening Fruits of Thinking
      Into Self-Consciousness' certainty
      Transforming all Feelings.
      I can perceive joyously
      The Autumn's Spirit-Watch:
      The Winter becomes in me
      The Soul-Summer's wakening.

           This week's mantram:
          The season of Autumn is the Michaelmas time, in which we are meant to develop Self (inner)-consciousness instead of the Nature (outer)-consciousness we had all Summer. Last week, we felt a growing power of Thinking as the gift of our Summer experience, making sense out of all that seemed senseless, giving us a feeling of a rest and an expectation of good in the coming Winter; this week, we feel this growing thinking consciousness directing all our feelings from vagueness to certainty, as our summer soul-experience awakens fully.

                                **********************************
           The Sun, according to the Doctor, is under the influence of Libra from
      Oct. 13th to Nov. 9th in our era. The symbolic image of the 'Scales' done from
      Steiner's sketches & indications is attached to this post and inserted in it, below.
      .

      Sunday October 20th. Moon Aries. Full Moon.  Arthur.
      Monday October 21st. Moon Taurus.  Ursula (dignitary with 11,000 maidens
                    imprisoned and executed by the Huns).
      Tuesday October 22nd. Moon Taurus. 1811 Franz Liszt born.
      Wednesday October 23rd. Moon Gemini. Ignatius.
      Thursday October 24th. Moon Gemini.  Raphael (the Archangel).
      Friday October 25th. Moon Gemini. 1806 Max Stirner born.
      Saturday October 26th. Moon  Cancer. Thaddeus (found in Matthew's Gospel).

      The verse for the Southern Hemisphere this week:

      *  M A N T R A  # 5 2  *
      Wenn aus den Seelentiefen
      Der Geist sich wendet zu dem Weltensein
      Und Schönheit quillt aus Raumesweiten,
      Dann zieht aus Himmelsfernen
      Des Lebens Kraft in Menschenleiber
      Und einet, machtvoll wirkend,
      Des Geistes Wesen mit dem Menschensein.

      When out of the Soul’s Deeps
      The Spirit winds its way to World-Being
      And Beauty swells into the widths of Space,
      Then is drawn from farthest Heavens
      The Life Force into Man’s bodies
      And there becomes one, mightily working,
      The Spirit’s Essence and Man’s being.

      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 19, 2013
      • 1 Attachment
      • 81 KB

           The Sun, according to the Doctor, is under the influence of the constellation LIBRA from October 13th through November 9th in our era. A version (done by Margot Roessler) of a new symbolic image of the SCALES from the original Soul-Calendar (created originally by artist Imma von Eckherdstein from Dr. Steiner's sketches & indications) in the color he said corresponded to the sign, violet, is attached to this e-mail.

                                          * MANTRA # 30  *

      Es spriessen mir im Seelensonnenlicht

      Des Denkens reife Früchte

      In Selbstbewusstseins Sicherheit

      Verwandelt alles Fühlen sich.

      Empfinden kann ich freudevoll

      Des Herbstes Geisterwachen:

      Der Winter wird in mir

      Den Seelensommer wecken.

      There sprouts in Soul-Sun-Light

      The ripening Fruits of Thinking

      Into Self-Consciousness' certainty

      Transforming all Feelings.

      I can perceive joyously

      The Autumn's Spirit-Waking:

      The Winter becomes in me

      The Soul-Summer's awakening.

          The season of Autumn is the 'Michaelmas' time, in which we are meant to develop Self (inner)-consciousness instead of the Nature (outer)-consciousness we had all Summer.

           Last week, we felt a growing power of Thinking as the gift of our Summer experience, making sense out of all that seemed senseless, giving us a feeling of a rest and an expectation of good in the coming Winter.

          This week, we feel this growing thinking consciousness directing all our feelings from vagueness to certainty, as our "summer" soul-experience (in contrast to the outer world's winter) awakens fully.

      THE DAYS OF THE WEEK:

      Sunday, October 20th. Moon Taurus.  Arthur.

      Monday, October 21st. Moon Gemini.  Ursula (dignitary with 11,000 maidens imprisoned and executed by the Huns).

      Tuesday, October 22nd. Moon Gemini.  1811 Franz Liszt born.

      Wednesday,  October 23rd. Moon Cancer  Ignatius.

      Thursday, October 24th. Moon Cancer  Raphael (the Archangel).

      Friday  October 25th. Moon Cancer. 1806 Max Stirner born.

      Saturday,  October 26th. Moon Leo. Last Quarter.  Thaddeus (found in Matthew's Gospel).

      ******* PLANETS IN THE EVENING SKY:

         Venus is the bright white 'star' in the West at sunset.

    • ottmar12
      Message 3 of 7 , Oct 20, 2013

        German being my mother tongue it is interesting to read the different translations of the COS. Sure you have discussed the different aspects of Translation, what I can do is add some clarifications, explain some words. Sometimes the meaning of the COS may however remain a bit obscure.

        Es spriessen mir im Seelensonnenlicht
        Des Denkens reife Früchte
        In Selbstbewusstseins Sicherheit
        Verwandelt alles Fühlen sich.
        Empfinden kann ich freudevoll
        Des Herbstes Geisterwachen:
        Der Winter wird in mir
        Den Seelensommer wecken.

        There sprouts in Soul-Sun-Light      the word "mir" here means there sprouts within myself or for me
        The ripening Fruits of Thinking         why ripening and not ripe?   it is reife Früchte and not reifende Fr.

         Into Self-Consciousness' certainty     All Feeling is transformed into Selfconsciousness' certainty
        Transforming all Feelings.

         I can perceive joyously
        The Autumn's Spirit-Watch:          not watch!  the (a)wakening of the autumn Spirit (or the Spirit in the                                                            time of autumn)

         The Winter becomes in me                    the last 2 lines are certainly poetically good, the literal translation
        The Soul-Summer's wakening.      however is: the winter will (future tense!) (a)wake in me the soul-                                                           summer

[...]

      • Tancredo Neto
        Message 4 of 7 , Oct 20, 2013
          Hello!
          I would like to thank the German friend who made the observations about the translations.
          I like very much to do this, to check the translations with one another.
          I can read some German by myself, but not enough to make a whole reading without having to check some words.
          This observations are very important.

          Thank you!
          Warm regards from Brazil,
          Tancredo Braga
          Message 5 of 7 , Oct 20, 2013
            Well, thank you! I am not as fluent in German. So a better translation would be: . "There sprouts for me in Soul's sunlight The ripe fruits of Thinking, Into Self-consciousness' certainty. Transforming all feelings. I can perceive joyously. The Autumn's Spirit-Waking: The Winter will in me The Soul's Summer awaken." ". . Yes?

            Message 6 of 7 , Oct 21, 2013

              "There sprouts for me in Soul's sunlight

              The ripe fruits of Thinking,

              All Feeling is transformed

              into Selfconsciousness' certainty.

              I can perceive joyously

              The Autumn's Spirit-Waking:

              The Winter will awaken in me

              The Soul's Summer awaken."

              Always 2 lines belong together or make one unit which is also indicated by the punctuation marks. A colon as a punctuation mark means something like: now the result, now what I mean or want to say. In the translation here I only changed the sequences of lines 3 and 4 to make it “better” English; the literal sense is very clear now.

              Thank you for the kind remarks from the friend in Brazil. Good to know that the remarks don’t end up in the internet nirwana or the NSAs akasha chronic.

              How do you deal with the COS in the southern hemisphere where spring and summer begins now (if there are seasons at all) and not autumn and winter. (Perhaps you have discussed this before on this list. If so could you sum it up or give a link to it, please?)

              Here in Europe there are different anthro groups that follow the change of nature, the change in the composition of the different ethers, the change in the elemental world on a weekly basis. I have the cautious or tentative idea that the elemental world  changes with the seasons, that means e.g. the salamander elementals are active in northern summer and southern summer,   while the “higher spiritual world” breathes with the sun, that means Christmas is in December, no matter where you are on earth.

              Robert

              Message 7 of 7 , Oct 27, 2013
                ******* What I find with the Calendar of the Soul is that the soul or astral body is very involved in the movement of the elementals that we call the "seasons." It has to be reversed for the south temperate zone, as Steiner said, or you would be using a mantra about enduring the World-Cold in mid-summer! It wouldn't match the astral-etheric experience at all. . . . Near the equator we have a permanent summer and near the poles a permanent winter, so our soul-experience is muted there, of course. But in the temperate zones we always experience them, not just a small part of Europe: in America the changes are vivid and they're no less so in Russia and Scandinavia, both of which I've lived in. Winter just starts earlier and lasts longer--- but the inner changes you can experience through the mantras, like being an isolated ego one week or having the power of memory become crucial in your life in another, they still match up. . . . I can start posting the Southern Hemisphere verse each week as well, if you wish. They start on the first Sunday after the first full moon following the autumnal equinox, when the resurrection of nature begins in spring--- which should be called 'Easter' down under. -starman