    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 12, 2002
      The "Calendar of the Soul"

      The cycle of the year can be a meditation through which you can sense the
      Beings that are behind the changing seasons, and Steiner gave out the
      'Calendar of the Soul' to do this. It's 52 meditative mantras enabling you to
      consciously experience the 'astral' (soul) events occurring within you as
      well as in outer Nature in the course of the year. These are well known to
      many anthroposophists; but the original Calendar published in 1912 ALSO
      contained 12 Images of the Zodiac (to be meditated on to sense the working of
      the 'solar' forces in the cosmos in the day), a listing of the Moon's phase
      and position in the constellations each night (for sensing the 'lunar'
      forces), and a list of saints and other spiritual figures connected with
      specific days of the week. We're presenting all that here. We begin with the
      mantra in the original German and in translation:

      * M A N T R A # 2 9 *

      Sich selbst des Denkens leuchten
      Im Innern kraftvoll zu entfachen,
      Erlebtes sinnvoll deutend
      Aus Weltengeistes Kräftequell,
      Ist mir nun Sommererbe
      Ist Herbstesruhe und auch Winterhoffnung.

      The Glowing Light of Thinking
      Within oneself powerfully to enkindle,
      Life's meaningfulness interpreting
      Out of the World-Spirit's Power-Source,
      Is to me Summer's inheritance,
      Is Fall's Rest and also Winter's Hope.

      This week's mantram:
      The season of Autumn is the Michaelmas time, in which we are meant to
      develop Self (inner)-consciousness instead of the Nature
      (outer)-consciousness we had all Summer. Last week, we felt this growing
      self-consciousness cause our being to widen: thinking found itself able to
      solve seemingly-insoluable mysteries of life, and in our feelings, many
      wishes we had given up on now we see it possible to realize. This week, we
      should feel this growing power of Thinking as the gift of our Summer
      experience, making sense out of all that seemed senseless in life; giving us
      a feeling of a restful pause and an expectation of good in the coming Winter.

      **********************************
      The Sun, according to the Doctor, is under the influence of Libra from
      Oct. 13th to Nov. 9th in our era. The symbolic image of the Scales done from
      Steiner's sketches & indications is attached to this post as a JPEG, although
      it may go through to you or not depending on your settings.

      Sunday October 13th. Moon Capricorn. First Quarter. Angelus.
      Monday October 14th. Moon Aquarius. Callistus.
      Tuesday October 15th. Moon Aquarius. 1844 Friedrich Nietzche born.
      Wednesday October 16th. Moon Pisces. Gallus (the appointer of the cloisters
      of St. Gallen).
      Thursday October 17th. Moon Pisces. Hilarius.
      Friday October 18th. Moon Aries. Luke (the Evangelist).
      Saturday October 19th. Moon Aries. Ptolemäus.

      The verse for the Southern Hemisphere this week:

      * M A N T R A # 5 2 *
      Wenn aus den Seelentiefen
      Der Geist sich wendet zu dem Weltensein
      Und Schönheit quillt aus Raumesweiten,
      Dann zieht aus Himmelsfernen
      Des Lebens Kraft in Menschenleiber
      Und einet, machtvoll wirkend,
      Des Geistes Wesen mit dem Menschensein.

      When out of the Soul’s Deeps
      The Spirit winds its way to World-Being
      And Beauty swells into the widths of Space,
      Then is drawn from farthest Heavens
      The Life Force into Man’s bodies
      And there becomes one, mightily working,
      The Spirit’s Essence and Man’s being.

      Dr. Starman
      www.DrStarman.net