Remains of Atlantis Off Yucatan

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 12 8:26 PM
      *******Finally after hearing about it for a year on the Internet, the
      official media is printing something about the stone city remains found on
      the sea floor between the Yucatan and Cuba, where both Steiner and the Cayce
      Readings describe refugees from Atlantis building settlements.

      In Cuban Depths, Atlantis or Anomaly?
      Images of Massive Stones 2,000 Feet Below Surface Fuel Scientific

      By Kevin Sullivan
      Washington Post Foreign Service
      Thursday, October 10, 2002; Page A25

      HAVANA -- The images appear slowly on the video screen, like ghosts from
      the ocean floor. The videotape, made by an unmanned submarine, shows
      massive stones in oddly symmetrical square and pyramid shapes in the
      deep-sea darkness.

      Sonar images taken from a research ship 2,000 feet above are even more
      puzzling. They show that the smooth, white stones are laid out in a
      geometric pattern. The images look like fragments of a city, in a place
      where nothing man-made should exist, spanning nearly eight square miles
      of a deep-ocean plain off Cuba's western tip.

      "What we have here is a mystery," said Paul Weinzweig, of Advanced
      Digital Communications (ADC), a Canadian company that is mapping the
      ocean bottom of Cuba's territorial waters under contract with the
      government of President Fidel Castro.

      "Nature couldn't have built anything so symmetrical," Weinzweig said,
      running his finger over sonar printouts aboard his ship, tied up at a
      wharf in Havana harbor. "This isn't natural, but we don't know what it

      The company's main mission is to hunt for shipwrecks filled with gold
      and jewels, and to locate potentially lucrative oil and natural gas
      reserves in deep water that Cuba does not have the means to explore.

      Treasure hunting has become a growth industry in recent years as
      technology has improved, allowing more precise exploration and easier
      recovery from deeper ocean sites. Advanced Digital operates from the
      Ulises, a 260-foot trawler that was converted to a research vessel for
      Castro's government by the late French oceanographer Jacques Cousteau.

      Since they began exploration three years ago with sophisticated
      side-scan sonar and computerized global-positioning equipment, Weinzweig
      said they have mapped several large oil and gas deposits and about 20
      shipwrecks sitting beneath ancient shipping lanes where hundreds of old
      wrecks are believed to be resting. The most historically important so
      far has been the USS Maine, which exploded and sank in Havana harbor in
      1898, an event that ignited the Spanish-American War.

      In 1912, the ship was raised from the harbor floor by the U.S. Army
      Corps of Engineers and towed out into deeper water four miles from the
      Cuban shore, where it was scuttled. Strong currents carried the Maine
      away from the site, and its precise location remained unknown until
      Ulises's sonar spotted it two years ago.

      Then, by sheer serendipity, on a summer day in 2000, as the Ulises was
      towing its sonar back and forth across the ocean like someone mowing a
      lawn, the unexpected rock formations appeared on the sonar readouts.
      That startled Weinzweig and his partner and wife, Paulina Zelitsky, a
      Russian-born engineer who has designed submarine bases for the Soviet

      "We have looked at enormous amounts of ocean bottom, and we have never
      seen anything like this," Weinzweig said.

      The discovery immediately sparked speculation about Atlantis, the fabled
      lost city first described by Plato in 360 B.C.. Weinzweig and Zelitsky
      were careful not to use the A word and said that much more study was
      needed before such a conclusion could be reached.

      But that has not stopped a boomlet of speculation, most of it on the
      Internet. Atlantis-hunters have long argued their competing theories
      that the lost city was off Cuba, off the Greek island of Crete, off
      Gibraltar or elsewhere. Several Web sites have touted the ADC images as
      a possible first sighting.

      Among those who suspect the site may be Atlantis is George Erikson, a
      California anthropologist who co-authored a book in which he predicted
      that the lost city would be found offshore in the tropical Americas.

      "I have always disagreed with all the archaeologists who dismiss myth,"
      said Erikson, who said he had been shunned by many scientists since
      publishing his book about Atlantis. He said the story has too many
      historical roots to be dismissed as sheer fantasy and that if the Cuban
      site proves to be Atlantis, he hopes "to be the first to say, 'I told
      you so.' "

      Manuel Iturralde, one of Cuba's leading geologists, said it was too soon
      to know what the images prove. He has examined the evidence and
      concluded that, "It's strange, it's weird; we've never seen something
      like this before, and we don't have an explanation for it."

      Iturralde said volcanic rocks recovered at the site strongly suggest
      that the undersea plain was once above water, despite its extreme depth.
      He said the existence of those rocks was difficult to explain,
      especially because there are no volcanoes in Cuba.

      He also said that if the symmetrical stones are determined to be the
      ruins of buildings, it could have taken 50,000 years or more for
      tectonic shifting to carry them so deep into the ocean. The ancient
      Great Pyramid of Giza in Egypt is only about 5,000 years old, which
      means the Cuba site "wouldn't fit with what we know about human
      architectural evolution," he said.

      "It's an amazing question that we would like to solve," he said.

      But Iturralde stressed that the evidence is inconclusive. He said that
      no first-hand exploration in a mini-submarine had been conducted, which
      would provide a much more comprehensive assessment. He said a
      remote-operated video camera provides only a limited perspective, like
      someone looking at a close-up image of an elephant's toe and trying to
      describe the whole animal.

      The National Geographic Society has expressed interest and is
      considering an expedition in manned submarines next summer, according to
      Sylvia Earl, a famed American oceanographer and explorer-in-residence at
      the society.

      "It's intriguing," Earl said in an interview from her Oakland, Calif.,
      home. "It is so compelling that I think we need to go check it out."

      Earl said a planned expedition this past summer was canceled because of
      funding problems. But she said National Geographic hopes to explore the
      site next summer as part of its Sustainable Seas research program.

      Earl has visited Cuba and described the preliminary evidence as
      "fantastic" and "extraordinary." But she stressed that as a "skeptical
      scientist," she would assume that the unusual stones were formed
      naturally until scientific evidence proved otherwise.

      "There is so much speculation about ancient civilizations," she said.
      "I'm in tune with the reality and the science, not the myths or stories
      or fantasies."

      As they search for answers, Weinzweig and Zelitsky have suddenly become
      involved in a new mystery -- the discovery of a potential blockbuster
      shipwreck. They said that on Aug. 15, their remotely operated vehicle
      came across what appears to be a 500-year-old Spanish galleon that they
      had been searching for.

      They declined to name the ship, fearful of other treasure hunters, but
      they said it carried a priceless cargo of emeralds, diamonds and ancient
      artifacts. By contract, they said they can keep 40 percent of the value
      of whatever they recover. They said the value of findings at the newly
      discovered wreck could far exceed the nearly $4 million that their
      private backers have so far invested in their operations.

      Weinzweig said a closer examination is needed to prove the ship's
      identity. He said that in treasure hunting, as in the search for
      Atlantis, there is no substitute for science.

      "One thing is legend," he said, sitting on Ulises's bridge. "Another is
      the hard evidence you find on the ocean floor."

      © 2002 The Washington Post Company