    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 29, 2002
      The "Calendar of the Soul"

      The cycle of the year can be a meditation through which you can sense the
      Beings that are behind the changing seasons, and Steiner gave out the
      'Calendar of the Soul' to do this. It's 52 meditative mantras enabling you to
      consciously experience the 'astral' (soul) events occurring within you as
      well as in outer Nature in the course of the year. These are well known to
      many anthroposophists; but the original Calendar published in 1912 ALSO
      contained 12 Images of the Zodiac (to be meditated on to sense the working of
      the 'solar' forces in the cosmos in the day), a listing of the Moon's phase
      and position in the constellations each night (for sensing the 'lunar'
      forces), and a list of saints and other spiritual figures connected with
      specific days of the week. We're presenting all that here. We begin with the
      mantra in the original German and in translation:

      * M A N T R A # 2 7 *

      In meines Wesens Tiefen dringen:
      Erregt ein ahnungsvolles Sehnen,
      Dass ich mich selbstbetrachtend finde,
      Als Sommersonnengabe, die als Keim
      In Herbstesstimmung wärmend lebt
      Als meiner Seele Kräftetriebe.

      In my essence's deeps is a force:
      It excites a premonition-filled yearning
      That I in my self-contemplation find
      As Summer-Sun's gift, which as a seed
      In Autumn's approach warming lives
      As my Soul's Power-Drive.

      This week's mantram:
      The season of Autumn is the Michaelmas time, in which we are meant to
      develop Self (inner)-consciousness instead of the Nature
      (outer)-consciousness we have in Summer. Two weeks ago this developing
      self-consciousness placed us in a state of being completely alone; last week
      this developing ego-consciousness, the gift of the soul's experience in
      Summer, we carried into our own Wills, and this gave backbone to the drives
      of our human spirits so that they had a stamp of Self-feeling--- this is the
      solar essence we carry within us into the 'night-time' of the year. This
      week's verse describes a feeling of simply finding a driving force present in
      our soul depths as a result of this; when I look within, I find a strong
      yearning for what I sense must now begin to happen in the future; a powerful
      force lives in the soul's drives which we must sense as a seed of future
      development as we press on into the Autumn.
      **********************************
      The Sun, according to the Doctor, is under the influence of Virgo from
      Sept. 8th to Oct. 12th in our era. The symbolic image of the Virgin done from
      Steiner's sketches & indications is attached to this post as a JPEG, although
      it may go through to you or not depending on your settings.

      Sunday September 29th. Moon Cancer. Last Quarter. Michael (the Archangel).
      Monday September 30th. Moon Cancer. Hieronymus, died 420, Christian Church
      teacher.
      Tuesday October 1st. Moon Leo. 1386 Founding of the University of Heidelburg.
      1847 Annie Besant born.
      Wednesday October 2nd. Moon Leo. Frumentius (spreader of Christianity in
      Ethiopia in the 4th Century). 1892 Ernst Renan died.
      Thursday October 3rd. Moon Virgo. Dionysius the Aeropagite, comrade of Paul.
      Jairus (in Matthew's Gospel). Simplicius.
      Friday October 4th. Moon Virgo. Marcianus (spreader of Christianity in Egypt
      in the 4th Century).1226 Francis of Assizi died.
      Saturday October 5th. Moon Placidus (bringer of Christianity to Sicily in
      the 6th Century). 1582 The Gregorian Calendar became established.

      The verse for the Southern Hemisphere this week:

      * M A N T R A # 5 2 *
      Wenn aus den Seelentiefen
      Der Geist sich wendet zu dem Weltensein
      Und Schönheit quillt aus Raumesweiten,
      Dann zieht aus Himmelsfernen
      Des Lebens Kraft in Menschenleiber
      Und einet, machtvoll wirkend,
      Des Geistes Wesen mit dem Menschensein.

      When out of the Soul’s Deeps
      The Spirit winds its way to World-Being
      And Beauty swells into the widths of Space,
      Then is drawn from farthest Heavens
      The Life Force into Man’s bodies
      And there becomes one, mightily working,
      The Spirit’s Essence and Man’s being.

      Happy Michaelmas all. =-Dr. Starman

      www.DrStarman.net