Calendar of the Soul, Week 26 after Easter (MICHAELMAS)

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 21, 2002
      The "Calendar of the Soul"

      The cycle of the year can be a meditation through which you can sense the
      Beings that are behind the changing seasons, and Steiner gave out the
      'Calendar of the Soul' to do this. It's 52 meditative mantras enabling you to
      consciously experience the 'astral' (soul) events occurring within you as
      well as in outer Nature in the course of the year. These are well known to
      many anthroposophists; but the original Calendar published in 1912 ALSO
      contained 12 Images of the Zodiac (to be meditated on to sense the working of
      the 'solar' forces in the cosmos in the day), a listing of the Moon's phase
      and position in the constellations each night (for sensing the 'lunar'
      forces), and a list of saints and other spiritual figures connected with
      specific days of the week. We're presenting all that here. We begin with the
      mantra in the original German and in translation:

      * M A N T R A # 2 6 * (Michaelmas)

      Natur, deine mütterliches Sein,
      Ich trage es in meinem Willenswesen;
      Und meines Willens Feuermacht,
      Sie stählet meines Geistes Triebe,
      Dass sie gebären Selbstgefühl,
      Zu tragen mich in mir.

      Nature, your mother-like Being,
      I carry you in my Will-Essence;
      And my Will's Fiery Might,
      It steels my Spirit-Drive,
      That this bears Self-Feeling,
      To carry myself in me.

      This week's mantra:
      The season of Autumn is the Michaelmas time, in which we are meant to
      develop Self (inner)-consciousness instead of the Nature
      (outer)-consciousness we have in summer. Last week this developing
      self-consciousness placed us in a state of being completely alone, so that
      the Light which is within could be shed on the otherwise dark outer world.
      This week is the mood of Michaelmas verse itself---the developing
      ego-consciousness we have at this season we can feel is the Being of Nature
      itself, and we carry this into our own Wills; then, the will can give 'steel'
      or backbone to the drives of our conscious human spirits, so that they have a
      stamp of Self-feeling; and if we flow with this, then, we have the experience
      of a second Self we carry within our ordinary selves.

      **********************************
      The Sun, according to the Doctor, is under the influence of Virgo from
      Sept. 8th to Oct. 12th in our era. The symbolic image of the Virgin done from
      Steiner's sketches & indications is attached to this post as a JPEG, although
      it may go through to you or not depending on your settings.

      Sunday Sept. 22nd. Moon Aries. 1452 Savanarola born.
      Monday Sept. 23rd . Moon Aries. 63 B.C. Augustus born.
      Tuesday Sept. 24th Moon Taurus. 1750 the Natural Scientist G. Werner born.
      Wednesday Sept. 25th. Moon Taurus. Cleophas (he who was a leader in the
      Gospels).
      Thursday Sept. 26th. Moon Gemini. Justina, who converted the Cyprian
      Magicians.
      Justinianus I, the founder of numerous Churches.
      Friday Sept. 27th. Moon Gemini. Cosmas u. Damian, famous medical
      benefactor of the 3rd Century. 1825 Opening of the first railway.
      Saturday August 28th Moon Gemini. 1895 the Natural Scientist Pasteur died.