Still More on the planets: The 7 Grains

    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 21, 2002
      *******Left off the list below were the 7 grains. There are 7 principal grains of the world, each showing the "signature" of one of the planets. In describing "ancient Saturn", for example, Dr. Steiner said it was a sphere which then ramified into innumerable little spheres contained within the large one, like a blackberry. All formations in nature which show this have the form-signature showing Saturn's influence--- as for instance, corn with its kernels.
      The Sun, from most ancient times, has always been associated with the number 3 (and its double, 6), and wheat was called the threefold grain with its germ, starch and bran layers (its name in Latin was even 'the threefold one'). The Moon, on the other hand, rules over water, and that grain which must be grown in water and was always considered Yin in the East, rice, thus shows its affinity with the Moon.
      Incidentally, these 3 Saturn, Sun & Moon grains are associated with the Western (corn) and Eastern Hemispheres (rice), and the Middle between them (wheat). I've noted that people in the Western world tend to be active and those in the Eastern more passive; and what active people often need to deal with stress is B vitamins---and the mark of B-vitamins in Nature is any yellow vegetables, so corn is the grain for Westerners, and was the sacred one to the American Indians.
      Mars shows an affinity with the oats, which energize one and we like to serve hot, like that fiery planet. (The tree ruled by Mars, the oak, even has a similar name.) The "Mercury signature" in Nature is to make things roll up into little balls or spheres, as the element Mercury or quicksilver does---and this is exactly the appearance of millet. Mercury makes things appear "watery", like a drop of water, and millet shows its affinity for water in that it dissolves instantly on cooking. (It's also the grain which has a PhD almost identical to water, neutral.)
      Jupiter is associated with rye, which is a heavy and ponderous grain but one capable of a multitude of uses, like the liver which Jupiter rules; and Venus, which rules music and art, rules barley, which the art-loving Greeks made their sacred drink from.
      If anyone here has anything they'd like to contribute about the grains or the planets, feel free to add to this.
      I know some Waldorf kindergartens use the "grain of the day" in making the snacks for the little ones, just as some teachers wear the Color of the Day.

      -Starman

> [...]
      > And incidentally, beyond these he sees 5 more stages of development, which however are impossible to put into words until one is closer to the Vulcan state. See his book "Cosmic Memory", the chapter "The Life of Saturn."
      >
      > Dr. Starman

      > > I simply don't know how. Perhaps if I can absorb this to some degree, this part of AP won't be so foreign to me. Now to see what I'm able to make of this. Thanks!
      > > >
      > > > *******Glad to. They are certainly very important in many
      > > respects. All change or evolution goes in cycles of seven. These 7 phases of the "world of form" or etheric world thus show up everywhere. In older Eastern religion and Theosophy they were the 7 chakras or principles, and of course light with its 7 colors and tone with its 7 notes of the scale. There are also 7 series of atomic weights in the table of elements, and seven "space systems" in the world of crystals. The plant world shows seven main divisions, and in fact all living creatures are "located" by a system of 7 levels of being ---Kingdom, phyla, class, order, family, genus and species. In the Christian religion this is the 7 stars and
      > > candles in the Book of Revelations, the 7 angels, churches, etc. In fact Revelations is the record of what happens when the seven "seals" of the "sealed Book" (which is ourselves),
      > > are "opened"---the opening of the 7 chakras---and the 7 parts of the Lord's Prayer are likewise an invocation of each center or principle. These are the 7 planets, and the postive development of each plane or level gives the 7 Virtues, while its negative side is the 7 Deadly Sins. The astral world above the etheric nonetheless manifests in and through it, and thus moral things are found also sevenfold; 7 dimensions to the Soul World, for instance (see THEOSOPHY). The 3 lowest of these are what we call the solid, fluid and gaseous states of matter, while the 4 higher are the 4 primary ethers; this is rflected in ancient astrology in the 3 lower or "inner" planets (Moon, Mercury & Venus) and 4 Outer Planets (Sun, Mars, Jupiter and Saturn).
      > >
      > > The order of the planets below, which is that of the days of the week, is used all over the world, and was derived from an old formula using the Chaldean Order of the Spheres, that very order of the inner & outer written above.
      > > Starman

      > > *The terms "Mysticism", "Empiricism" etc. are from Steiner's fascinating astrology (in the lectures called "Human and Cosmic Thought") in which he identifies 12 philosophical points of view associated with the signs, and then within these 7 "Moods of Soul" associated with the planets.
    • antrolutz
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 21, 2002
        Hi Starman!
        I left out the grains for two reasons:
        1) They are a sub-group beyond the level of the grass-plants (sun)
        2) The connections differ in different sources, like barley connects
        with Mars, for instance.

        Would be nice if we can get some "expertise" to speak up here.

        Lutz

        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 21, 2002
          Here is ONE link:
          http://www.xs4all.nl/~busbi/grains.html#grains