Re: [steiner] Calendar of the Soul

  • jla
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 16, 2000
      Durwood,

      On second thought, this edition more than likely is not available but would you  have time to send a file containing all the symbolic pages?

      jeff

      DocStarman@... wrote:

         Thought people might like to see what the original Soul-Calendar was
      like---see attached.

    • DocStarman@aol.com
      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 16, 2000
        pacbay@... writes:
        << Durwood,
        On second thought, this edition more than likely is not available but
        would you have time to send a file containing all the symbolic pages?
        jeff >>

        *******That page was the only one reprinted in the Beiträge zur Rudolf
        Steiner Gesamtausgabe.
        I have color copies of all 12 images done by Margaret Roessler from
        Imma's drawings (which in turn were based on Steiner's sketches &
        indications) and am scanning them in---as far as I know, the only source for
        the symbols.
      • Richard Distasi
        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 13, 2001
          Starman, again thanks for reminding us that these mantras are very good exercises which allows one's own soul to follow the path of Christ out into the cosmos and back again within the course of the year.

          Rick Distasi

        • starmann77@aol.com
          Message 4 of 14 , Apr 13, 2001
            radistasi@... writes:
            << these mantras are very good exercises which allows one's own soul to
            follow the path of Christ out into the cosmos and back again within the
            course of the year. >>

            *******Yes, for the Christ is connected with our whole experience of Time, as
            becomes clear to any anthroposophist who uses the Foundation Stone mantra.
          • starmann77@aol.com
            Message 5 of 14 , Apr 16, 2001
              Sorry to be a day late, but we are having technical problems. We'll also be
              delayed in sending or posting the Zodiac images and even the info about the
              days of the week. But here is the first mantra of the calendar, the Easter
              mantra:

              Wenn aus den Weltenweiten
              Die Sonne spricht zum Menschensinn,
              Und Freude aus den Seelentiefen
              Dem Licht sich eint im Schauen,
              Dann ziehen aus der Selbstheit Hulle
              Gedanken in die Raumesfernen
              Und binden dumpf
              Des Menschenn Wesen an des Geistes Sein.

              When out of the World-Widenesses
              The Sun speaks to Man's Senses
              And Joy out of the soul's depths
              The Light becomes one with in Vision,
              Then is drawn out of Self-hood's sheath
              Thinking into Space-distances
              And binds dimly
              Man's Essence and the Spirit's Being.

              As I said, first I recommend you start memorizing the lines of either the
              German (if you choose) or the English, so that you can recite it at will.
              Take it one line at a time, then two lines, etc. You'll find that it has 4
              groups of 2 lines each, with a mood to each. Think the thoughts and try to
              picture what they describe with feeling. The Risen christ is the resurrected
              Sun that now speaks; Joy rises from the deep within at Him, as the Egyptians
              felt on seeing Aton or the sun-disc rise; then feel your thoughts drawn into
              the wide universe; and meditate on what it means to say that in a hidden way
              this effects a joining of your deepest inner essence to the World's Being.

              Starman
            • starmann77@aol.com
              Message 6 of 14 , Jun 11, 2001
                THIS WEEK'S SOUL-CALENDAR
                Here's the Soul-Calendar for this 9th week after Easter; it has 52
                meditative mantras that enable one to experience astral/soul events occurring
                within and without in the course of the year. The verse is given in German
                and English.

                Anthroposophy is a path of knowledge which begins with the use of the
                logical mind, which is then intensified by the use of visual images called
                "Imaginations" and reciting mantras which draws in "Inspirations." The
                meaning of the words of a mantra at first sight is not the essential thing,
                but rather the repetitive recitation of it and entering with deeper
                soul-forces into the inner experience of what is described. Also, the
                mantras were created in the German language and have their rhythms in that,
                so learning an English version is just a first step to using the mantram in
                the original. (Chanting "the jewel in the lotus" is different from "Om mani
                padme hum," for example.) Steiner spoke of how German had preserved words
                lost by other languages, and could be for us what Sanskrit was in olden
                times: the language in which spirit-truths are expressed. So in translating,
                I've tried to keep close to the original, so that one can easily go from
                English to German.

                * M A N T R A # 9 *
                Vergessend meine Willenseigenheit
                Erfüllet Weltenwärme sommerkündend
                Mir Geist und Seelenwesen;
                Im Lichte mich zu verlieren
                Gebietet mir das Geisteschauen,
                Und kraftvoll kündet Ahnung mir:
                Verieren dich, und dich zu finden.

                Forgetting my Egohood's Will,
                The World-Warmth, heralding Summer,
                Fills my Spirit and Soul-Essence;
                To lose myself in the Light,
                The Spirit-Vision commands me,
                And powerfully prophesies to me:
                Lose yourself, and yourself you'll find.

                This is the first verse of the year to speak of losing oneself in the light
                and warmth of approaching summer.

                * T H E W E E K S P I R I T U A L L Y *

                In addition to the mantrams, the anthroposophical Soul-Calendar
                originally contained 12 drawings of the zodiac to be meditated on to sense
                the working of the solar forces in the cosmos in the day, and the Moon's
                position in the constellations was given for each night, to sense the lunar
                forces. The Sun, according to the Doctor, is under the influence of Taurus
                until June 15th and then Gemini from June 16th to July 20th (in our era). A
                symbolic image of Taurus executed from sketches & indications by the Doctor
                is attached to this post. The Moon positions and phases are listed below for
                each night, along with some of the birth & death days of famous persons
                published in the first 'Seelencalendar': their lives and contributions are
                fruitful material for contemplation on their days. I'm translating these to
                restore the Calendar to its intended use with the full spiritual/solar/lunar
                connections.

                Sunday June 10th. Moon Aquarius. Onophrius.
                Monday June 11th. Moon Aquarius. Last Quarter. Alexander the Great died 323 B.C. Roger Bacon died 1294.
                Tuesday June 12th. Moon Pisces. Basilides.
                Wednesday June 13th. Moon Pisces. Alfred.
                Thursday June 14th. Moon Pisces. Basilius.
                Friday June 15th. Moon Aries. Vitus.
                Saturday June 16th. Moon Aries. Sun enters influence of GEMINI. Aurelius.

              • starmann77@aol.com
                Message 7 of 14 , Jun 11, 2001
                  And by the way, I uploaded the image of Taurus onto the web site for the group (finally figured out how to!) It said it would automatically send a message to everyone that a new file had been placed there, but I never saw one sent out.

                  Star Man
                • Charlie Morrison
                  Message 8 of 14 , Mar 16, 2002
                    Hi Starman,
                    Is there some reason why you have stopped the weekly "Calendar of the Soul" posts.

                    warm regards,
                    Charlie.
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jun 27, 2002
                      social_artist@... writes:
                      Dear Dr. Starman-
                      I have been unable to view the image of Gemini
                      attached to your calendar e-mails.  Do you happen to
                      know of a place I can go to find this?
                      Thank you for your vigilant diligence-
                      Yours-
                      George

                      *******I'm attaching it to this e-mail: we'll see if it goes through. I could put it in the group's files too, but am having trouble getting in to the archives---some problem with Yahoo!

                      P.S.-  What interesting turns this newsgroup has
                      taken!  Discussions and angles being explored
                      different from what I had become accustomed.
                      Separated by continents and oceans, we are connected
                      along this web of cold light.  I continue to wonder
                      the tones we would make were we to find ourselves
                      eyes-to-eyes and faces-to-faces.  Thank you to all for
                      your questions and insights.

                      *******I hope this group may set a different tone than the other online groups, which often have discussions that few studying anthroposophy could even follow. While this form of communication is inhuman, it can be no more so than a book--- and, if we try to use it in a Michaelic way, perhaps can help individuals in their striving.

                      Dr. Starman

                      P.S. There was an error in this week's Calendar posting; the time for the Sun under the spiritual influence of Gemini is June 16th to July 20th in our era, according to the Doctor.
                      Message 10 of 14 , Apr 6, 2003
                           The "Calendar of the Soul"

                          Dr. Steiner gave out the 'Calendar of the Soul' , 52 meditative mantras, to enable us to experience the 'astral' (soul) events occurring within and in Nature during the year. These are well known to many anthroposophists---- but the original Calendar also had 12 Images of the Zodiac, to be meditated with each month to sense the working of the 'solar' forces in the cosmos in the day, a listing of the Moon's phases & position in the signs each night (for sensing the 'lunar' forces), and a list of saints and other spiritual figures connected with specific days.
                            Here's the whole 'Soul-Calendar' restored to how it was originally meant to be used.

                        This week and through April 20th we are  in a most interesting time, when the last verse of the 'Soul-Calendar'  has been reached, but it's still several weeks before we start with the first verse of the new, there being a late Easter this year. This whole time therefore falls into a time of the change from going out into the cosmos and then drawing in from it again, as can be experienced by meditatively working with the ending and beginning verses.

                        COMPARISON OF FIRST AND LAST VERSES
                        of the Calendar of the Soul

                        *******MANTRAM 52*******
                        Wenn aus den Seelentiefen
                        Der Geist sich wendet zu dem Weltensein
                        Und Schonheit quillt aus Raumesweiten,
                        Dann zieht aus Himmelsfernen
                        Des Lebens Kraft in Menschenleiber
                        Und einet, machtvoll wirkend,
                        Des Geistes Wesen mit dem Menschensein.

                        When out of the Soul's Deeps
                        The Spirit wends its way to World-Being
                        And Beauty swells into the widths of Space,
                        Then is drawn from farthest Heavens
                        The Life Force into human bodies
                        And there becomes one, mightily working,
                        The Spirit's Essence and Man's being.

                        *******MANTRAM # 1*******
                        Wenn aus den Weltenweiten
                        Die Sonne spricht zum Menschensinn
                        Und Freude aus den Seelenteifen,
                        Dem Licht sich eint im Schauen,
                        Dann ziehen aus der Selbstheit Hulle
                        Gedanken in die Raumesfernen
                        Und binden dumpf
                        Des Menschen Wesen und des Geistes Sein.

                        When out of the Wide World
                        The Sun speaks to Man's Senses
                        And Joy out of Soul's Depths
                        Becomes one with Light in vision,
                        Then is drawn from the Ego's Sheath
                        Thinking into farthest Worlds
                        And joins, dimly,
                        Man's Essence and the Spirit's Being.

                           This time of year we receive the Life Force from the returning Sun at Easter. The spirit within goes out into the universe and connects with that Source, from which the new life force will start flowing at Eastertide. Then we'll begin the Easter mood of 'resurrection' of our life forces, as, in our depths, our Spirit forms its annual connection with the Cosmos once again---after having withdrawn into the Earth in winter---and the etheric body is renewed through this connection to the World Spirit.

                                                **********************************
                             The Sun, according to the Doctor, is under the influence of PISCES from March 9th to April 13th in our era. A symbolic image of the Fishes done from Steiner's sketches & indications is inserted below.

                        Sunday, April 6th. Moon Gemini.  Irenaeus, Bishop of Lyon in 2nd century. Raphael born 1483. Dürer died 1528.

                        Monday,  April 7th. Moon Gemini. Egesippus (Christian writer of the second century in Rome).

                        Tuesday,  April 8th. Moon Cancer. First Quarter.  Wilhelm von Humboldt died 1835.

                        Wednesday, April 9th. Moon Cancer.  Mary Cleophas (who with Mary of Magdala and the Mother of Jesus in John's Gospel was present at the Crucifixion). Theophilus (Bishop of Alexandria in the 5th century). Francis Bacon of Verulam died 1626.

                        Thursday, April 10th. Moon Leo.  The Prophets Daniel and Ezekiel.

                        Friday, April 11th. Moon Leo.  Leo (Pope that turned back the wave of Attila from Italy).

                        Saturday, April 12th. Moon Virgo. Zeno.

                        *  M A N T R A  # 2 4  *

                        Sich selbst erschaffend stets,
                        Wird Seelensein sich selbst gewahr;
                        Der Weltengeist, er strebet fort
                        In Selbsterkenntnis neu belebt
                        Und schafft aus Seelenfinsternis
                        Des selbstsinns Willensfrucht .

                        In continually shaping one's Self,
                        Soul's Being becomes of itself aware;
                        The World-Spirit, it strives forward
                        In Self-Knowledge newly living
                        And shapes out of Soul-Darkness
                        The Self-sense's Will-Fruit.

                        Dr. Starman

                        P.S. The Moon will be seen close to the planet Saturn Monday night, April 7th, and near the planet Jupiter on Thursday night, April 10th.

                        Message 11 of 14 , Apr 3, 2011
                        • 1 Attachment
                        • 24 KB

                            Here's the Soul-Calendar restored to this complete form, with some details added on the planets in the night sky this week as well.

                                                                               *******
                                    THE ZODIAC IMAGE
                           The Sun, according to the Doctor, is under the influence of the constellation PISCES from March 9th to April 13th in our era.  A version (done by Margaret Roessler) of a new symbolic image of the FISHES from the original Soul-Calendar (created originally by artist Imma von Eckherdstein from Dr. Steiner's sketches & indications) ----in an approximation of the color he said corresponded to the sign, one of 5 shades of  "purple" or magenta we can't yet actually perceive ---- is attached to this e-mail.

                         *  M A N T R A  # 5 2  *

                        Wenn aus den Seelentiefen

                        Der Geist sich wendet zu dem Weltensein

                        Und Schönheit quillt aus Raumesweiten,

                        Dann zieht aus Himmelsfernen

                        Des Lebens Kraft in Menschenleiber

                        Und einet, machtvoll wirkend,

                        Des Geistes Wesen mit dem Menschensein.

                        When out of the Soul’s Deeps

                        The Spirit winds its way to World-Being

                        And Beauty swells into the widths of Space,

                        Then is drawn from farthest Heavens

                        The Life Force into human bodies

                        And there becomes one, mightily working,

                        The Spirit’s Essence and Man’s being.

                            The dark time of Winter ends, the Sun returns. We are drawn out of ourselves, to find our connection to the cosmos through the beauty of the senses in the outer world, and this begins the annual renewal of our life forces.

                           The year from Easter to Easter is of uneven length because Easter is a movable feast, the first Sunday after the first Full Moon after the Vernal Equinox. This year it comes about the latest it possibly can, April 24th. So we have now reached the 53rd week after last year's Easter. What I do is continue using the 52nd mantra until Easter comes again. At the Goetheanum, what they decided was to take the time from Easter to Easter and divide it by 52, but then we aren't actually using weeks of 7 days as a week is supposed to be. So it's up to individuals to decide. All of us will begin with mantra #1 on April 24th.

                                  THE DAYS OF THE WEEK:

                        Sunday, April 3rd. Moon Aries. New Moon. The 3rd of April 33 A.D. Is what spiritual-scientific investigation shows as the day of Death of Jesus Christ.

                        Monday,  Aprll 4th.  Moon Taurus.
                        Bishop Ambrose died 398 (he by whom Augustine was baptized). University of Basel founded 1460.

                        Tuesday, April 5h. Moon Taurus.
                        Vincentius (Christian writer, died 1264). Volta died 1827.

                        Wednesday,   April 6thMoon Taurus. Irenaeus, Bishop of Lyon in 2nd century. Raphael born 1483. Dürer died 1528.

                        Thursday,   April 7thMoon Gemini.  Egesippus (Christian writer of the second century in Rome).

                        Friday,   April 8th. Moon Gemini._Wilhelm von Humboldt died 1835.

                        Saturday,   April 9th. Moon Cancer.   Mary Cleophas (who with Mary of Magdala and the Mother of Jesus in John’s Gospel was present at the Crucifixion). Theophilus (Bishop of Alexandria in the 5th century). Francis Bacon of Verulam died 1626.

                        ******* PLANETS IN THE NIGHT SKY:

                        Dim, yellowish Saturn rises in the east shortly after sunset, amongst the stars of the Virgin.

                        ******* PLANETS IN THE MORNING SKY:
                        The brilliant "morning star" Venus is seen in the East every day before sunrise. Saturn is also still visible low in the southwest at the same time.