    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 14, 2002
      The "Calendar of the Soul"

      The 'Calendar of the Soul' is 52 meditative mantras enabling you to
      consciously experience the 'astral' (soul) events occurring within you as
      well as in outer Nature in the course of the year. These are well known to
      many anthroposophists; but the original Calendar published in 1912 ALSO
      contained 12 Images of the ZODIAC (to be meditated on that month to sense the
      working of the 'solar' forces in the cosmos in the daytime), a listing of the
      MOON's phases & position in the constellations each night (for sensing the
      'lunar' forces), and a list of saints and other spiritual figures connected
      with specific DAYS of the week. We're presenting all that here each week,
      which to my knowledge has not been done since 1913 and is available nowhere
      else. We begin with the mantra in the original German and in translation:

      * M A N T R A # 1 6 *
      Zu bergen Geistgeschenk im Innern,
      Gebietet strenge mir mein Ahnen,
      Dass reifend Gottesgaben
      In Seelengründen fruchtend
      Der Selbstheit Früchte bringen.

      To save the Spirit-Gifts in my Inner self
      Bids me strongly my sensing of the future,
      So that those ripening God-gifts
      In the Soul’s Ground bearing fruit
      The Selfhood's Fruit will bring.

      The summer is when we are meant to lose ourselves in the summer play of
      light and warmth, to find ourselves in a different way later in the year; and
      this is just what the past few week's verses have pictured. Now this Spirit
      we surrendered to so strongly has wrapped itself about the Ego, planting
      seeds we sense will grow towards the future, and as they ripen, our own
      abilities will.

      **********************************
      The Sun, according to the Doctor, is under the influence of Gemini from
      June 16th to July 20th in our era. The symbolic image of the Twins done from
      Steiner's sketches & indications is attached to this post as a JPEG, although
      it may go through to you or not depending on your settings.

      Sunday July 14th. Moon Virgo. 1801 Johannes Müller (the Natural Scientist)
      born.
      Monday July 15th. Moon Libra. The Day that, according to legend, the
      Apostles set out on their missions and each chose a different region to go
      to. 1099 The Crusaders stormed Jerusalem.
      Tuesday July 16th. Moon Libra. First Quarter. The Flight of Muhammed 622
      A.D. (Hegira).
      Wednesday July 17th. Moon Scorpio. Leo IV.
      Thursday July 18th. Moon Scorpio. St. Thomas Aquinas.
      Friday July 19th. Moon Sagittarius. St. Vincent de Paul.
      Saturday July 20th. Moon Sagittarius. The Prophet Elijah (Elias).

      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 4 6:28 PM

          The "Calendar of the Soul"

        Rudolf Steiner gave out the 'Soul-Calendar' in 1912, 52 meditative mantras to enable us to experience the 'astral' (soul) events occurring within us and in Nature during the year, starting at Easter. These are well known to students of Steiner, but the original "Calendar " also had 12 Images of the Zodiac, to be meditated with each month to sense the working of the 'solar' forces in the cosmos in the day--- a listing of the Moon's phases & position in the signs each night for sensing the 'lunar' forces--- and a list of saints and other spiritual figures connected with specific days. Here's the Soul-Calendar' restored to its complete form for your use.

        *  M A N T R A  # 1 6 *
        Zu bergen Geistgeschenk im Innern,
        Gebietet strenge mir mein Ahnen,
        Dass reifend Gottesgaben
        In Seelengründen fruchtend
        Der Selbstheit Früchte bringen.

        To save the Spirit-Gifts in my Inner self
        Bids me strongly my sensing of the future,
        So that those ripening God-gifts
        In the Soul's Ground bearing fruit
        The Selfhood's Fruit will bring.

           The summer is when we are meant to lose ourselves in the summer play of
        light and warmth, to find ourselves in a different way later in the year; and
        this is just what the past few week's verses have pictured. Now this Spirit
        we surrendered to so strongly has wrapped itself about the Ego, planting
        seeds we sense will grow towards the future, and as they ripen, our own
        abilities will.

                               **********************************
            The Sun, according to the Doctor, is under the influence of the constellation LEO from August 4th to Sept. 7th in our era. A symbolic image of the LION done by an artist from Steiner's sketches & indications is inserted below.

        Sunday, August 3rd. Moon Libra. 1492 Start of the first Voyage of Columbus.

        Monday,  August 4th. Moon Scorpio. First Quarter.
        Dominic (Founder of the Dominican Order). Josias, King of Judea. Josias, the Prophet. Tertullian. Aristarchus. 1792 the Poet Shelley born.

        Tuesday,  August 5th. Moon Scorpio.
        1396 Gutenberg born.

        Wednesday,  August 6th. Moon Sagittarius.
        Sixtus. Verklarung Christi.

        Thursday,   August 7th. Moon Sagittarius.
        Asra. Cajetan. Donatus. Petrus and Julianus. Ulrika.

        Friday,   August 8th. Moon Capricorn.
        Cyriacus. Justinus. Romanus. Eseverus. Smaragdus. Ladislaus.

        Saturday,  August  9th. Moon Capricorn.
        Cajetan. Ericus.

        *  M A N T R A  # 4 1  *
        Der Seele Schaffensmacht,
        Sie strebet aus dem Herzensgrunde,
        Im Menschenleben Gotterkräft
        Zu rechtem Wirken zu entflammen,
        Sich selber zu gestalten
        Im Menschenliebe und im Menschenwerke.

        The Soul's Shaping-Might
        It strives from out of Heart's Ground,
        In Man's Life Godly Stength
        To righteous Work to enflame,
        So itself to form
        In Man's Love and in Man's Work.

           Last week's mantra, when worked with, led us to feel how our selfhood, which would otherwise remain illusionary, was made real by the fiery power of the World-Word, through Love. This week, this power working in the foundation of the soul strives outward, so that these fiery divine forces can pour themselves into what we create, both in our love and in our work.

        -Dr. Starman
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 27, 2004

          ******* Sorry to be late with the Soul-Calendar again this week.   -starman

          The "Calendar of the Soul"

            Rudolf Steiner gave out the 'Soul-Calendar' in 1912, 52 meditative mantras to enable us to experience the 'astral' (soul) events occurring within us and in Nature during the year, starting with the first mantra on Easter Sunday.
             These mantras for each week are well known to many students of Steiner, but the original "Calendar " also had 12 Images of the Zodiac, to be meditated with each month, to sense the working of the 'solar' forces in the cosmos, plus a listing of the Moon's phases & position in the signs each night, for sensing the 'lunar' forces, and a list of people and events connected with specific days.  Here's the Soul-Calendar restored to its complete form.

             The Sun, according to the Doctor, is under the influence of the constellation CANCER from July 21st to August 3rd in our era. Here's a version of the symbolic image of the CRAB done from Steiner's sketches & indications:

          This week's mantra.
              For those not familiar with the use of mantras: The anthroposophic path uses symbolic images like the above ("Imaginations") to awaken spiritual sight and mantras ("Inspirations") to begin spiritual hearing. The meaning of the words of a mantra at first sight is not important, but rather reciting it and entering with deeper soul-forces into its inner experience. Also, these mantras were created in the German language and have their rhythms in that, so learning an English version is just a step to using the original; I've kept close to it in translating, so anyone can easily go from English to German.

          *  M A N T R A  # 1 6 *
          Zu bergen Geistgeschenk im Innern,
          Gebietet strenge mir mein Ahnen,
          Dass reifend Gottesgaben
          In Seelengründen fruchtend
          Der Selbstheit Früchte bringen.

          To conserve the Spirit-Gifts in my Inner self
          Bids me strongly my sensing of the future,
          So that those ripening God-gifts
          In the Soul's Ground bearing fruit
          The Selfhood's Fruit will bring.

             The summer is when we are meant to lose ourselves in the summer play of
          light and warmth, to find ourselves in a different way later in the year; and
          this is just what the past few week's verses have pictured. Now this Spirit
          we surrendered to so strongly has wrapped itself about the Ego, planting
          seeds we sense will grow towards the future, and as they ripen, our own
          abilities will.

                                              **********************************

          Sunday, July 25th.  Moon Scorpio.  St. Chistopher.

          Monday, July 26th. Moon Scorpio.  Anna.

          Tuesday, July 27th. Moon Sagittarius.  Martha.

          Wednesday, July 28th. Moon Sagittarius.   1750 Johann Seb. Bach died. 1794 Robespierre executed.1804 Philosopher Ludwig Feuerbach born.

          Thursday, July 29th. Moon Capricorn.  Simplicius. 1856 Robert Schumann died.

          Friday, July 30th. Moon Capricorn.  Ruth.

          Saturday, July 31st. Moon Aquarius. Full Moon.
            1472 University of Munich founded.
                            1556 Ignatius von Loyola died. 1886 Franz Liszt died.

            Planets :  Jupiter is the brilliant white "star" that can be seen for a few hours after sunset in the Southwest, amongst the stars of the Lion.  The other planets are only visible in the morning in the East before sunrise.

          Dr. Starman

          www.DrStarman.net
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 27, 2009
          • 1 Attachment
          • 27 KB

              The 'CALENDAR OF THE SOUL'
             Dr. Rudolf Steiner
          gave out the 'Soul-Calendar' in 1912, consisting of 52 meditative mantras to enable us to experience the 'astral' (soul) events occurring within us as well as in Nature during the year, starting with the first mantra every year on Easter Sunday. We experience this unconsciously all through the year, but these meditative verses enable us to become conscious of it.

             The Sun, according to the Doctor, is under the influence of the constellation CANCER from July 21st to August 3rd in our era.  A version (done by Margaret Roessler in what Steiner said was the color of the sign, green) of a new symbolic image of the CRAB from the original Soul-Calendar (created originally by artist Imma von Eckherdstein from Dr. Steiner's sketches & indications) is attached to this e-mail.

          *  M A N T R A  # 1 6 *

          Zu bergen Geistgeschenk im Innern,

          Gebietet strenge mir mein Ahnen,

          Dass reifend Gottesgaben

          In Seelengründen fruchtend

          Der Selbstheit Früchte bringen.

          To save the Spirit-Gifts in my Inner self

          Bids me strongly my sensing of the future,

          So that those ripening God-gifts

          In the Soul’s Ground bearing fruit

          The Selfhood's Fruit will bring.

            An interpretation: The summer is when we are meant to lose ourselves in the summer play of light and warmth, to find ourselves in a different way later in the year; and this is what the past few week's verses have pictured.

          Now this Spirit we surrendered to so strongly has wrapped itself about the Ego, planting seeds we sense will grow towards the future, and as they ripen, our own abilities will.

                         ************ ********* ********* ********* ********* ********* ********* *******

                  THE DAYS OF THE WEEK:

          Sunday, July 26th. Moon Libra. Anna.

           .

          Monday, July 27th. Moon Libra, Martha.

          .

          Tuesday, July 28th. Moon Scorpio. First Quarter. 1750 Johann Seb. Bach died. 1794 Robespierre executed.1804 Philosopher Ludwig Feuerbach born.

          .

          Wednesday, July 29th. Moon Scorpio. Simplicius. 1856 Robert Schumann died.

          .

          Thursday, July 30th. Moon Sagittarius. Ruth.

           .

          Friday, July 31st. Moon Sagittarius.  1472 University of Munich founded. 1556 Ignatius von Loyola died. 1886 Franz

          Saturday, August 1st. Moon Sagittarius.. Macabees. 1744 Natural Scientist Lamarck born.

                     ************ ********* ********* ********* ********* ********* ********* ********* *****

          PLANETS in the Night Sky: Saturn is visible in the West from sunset on for about an hour, beneath the stars of the Lion.

          Jupiter is the bright 'star' in the southern sky from shortly after sunset till dawn. The almost-full moon will be seen near it August 1st-3rd.

          PLANETS in the Morning Sky: Before sunrise, Venus and Mars are visible in the East. Mars is close to the brilliant orange-reddish "Bull's Eye", Aldebaran, while Venus is lower down, closer to the horizon, amongst the stars of the Twins every morning this week.

          Windows Live™ Hotmail®: Celebrate the moment with your favorite sports pics. Check it out.
        • celestial_vision@comcast.net
          Message 5 of 7 , Jul 27, 2009
            Hi Starman,
            Were the original moon phases illustrated in some way, or described in text as you are showing? Can you explain a little more about how to use them?

            Exactly how is the adjustment made during the period where there almost never is exactly 52 weeks from Easter to Easter. Thanks for posting this ...
            Kind regards,
            Stephen

            ============================

               Dr. Rudolf Steiner
            gave out the 'Soul-Calendar' in 1912, consisting of 52 meditative mantras to enable us to experience the 'astral' (soul) events occurring within us as well as in Nature during the year, starting with the first mantra every year on Easter Sunday. We experience this unconsciously all through the year, but these meditative verses enable us to become conscious of it.

          • stephenm142
            Message 6 of 7 , Aug 28 12:18 PM
              Hi Starman, you say the list is little used, but I can't get my questions answered.
              Any thoughts?
              - Stephen

              =================

              Message 7 of 7 , Aug 28 3:43 PM
                ******* I meant by you other people. You know, two-way communication, not someone asking me a question and then not usually not posting again for another year, but actual conversation and study together at least weekly with various members of the list. Like, about how each is applying anthroposophy in his life, what others think about how to make use of it, and so on.

                   I'm pretty busy, so I'm sorry I hadn't gotten around to answering your question yet, Stephen. I was travelling all during the months of July and August, to the Rudolf Steiner Institute near Boston and then to the Mystery Play in Spring Valley. In the original Calendar of the Soul, a reprint of which is in print and available from Steinerbooks, you could see for yourself that there are the normal picture-notations at New Moon, First Quarter, Full Moon and Last Quarter, as used to be in all calendars when we all were farmers. As to how to use them, well, if you start being aware of the phase of the moon all the time, you can experience for yourself things at full moon, new moon, etc. Blood flows faster, hair grows faster, people act differently. As to what Steiner said directly, I have it at the start of each weelk's post, that one meditates on the sun's position by sign in the daytime to attune to the solar forces, while the moon's position is each evening, so you use it to sense the lunar forces.

                  An e-mail saying the above sentences is not meant to be the end of a conversation. If you want to know more about what "solar" and "lunar" forces mean, that could be a continuation of a conversation or joint study. We all have to work out answers for ourselves, through our own experience. It takes time and application.

                   Different groups have used the Soul-calendar verse different ways. The eurythmists, as I understand, have the forms for all 52 mantras marked "1st week August", "2nd week August", etc. So they approximate. At the Goetheanum, they calculate the period till next Easter and then divide it in 52 equal parts, so some years have weeks of more than 7 days and some shorter. As for myself, I don't feel like that would be a "week" which was an ancient measure of 7 days, each ruled by a planet (the "woch" in old English). So I simply start at Easter Sunday. Some years the 52nd mantra may come a few weeks before the new Easter, and so I keep using #52 until it arrives, while in other years the 51st and 52nd mantra may be cut off by Easter's arrival, in which case the jump to the new year is a bit rushed. But that's the natural consequence of using a year that is both solar and lunar, based on the first Sunday following the first full moon following the vernal equinox--- a living, changeable reality. It keeps you alive to stay alert to change, as in the real world. Dr. Steiner commented on the way some depored Easter being a moveable feast rather than every Dec. 25th or Jan. 1st, because of the frightful mess it made in account-books: all that shopping and purchasing at irregular times annually!

                  But I find a correspondance between the mantras and what's going on in the Northern Hemisphere seasonally. For instance, whenever Easter comes early, spring comes early. (I suspect they should be reversed in the Southern, as also should be Easter.)

                -starman

                www.DrStarman.com

                To: steiner@yahoogroups.com
                From: celestial_vision@...