Re: [steiner] conception

  • golden3000997@cs.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 3, 2002
      Hello Ashley, Gerard and Everyone!

      Regarding conception and the incarnating Spirit of the individual - the
      Spirit, "Ego" in Steiner's terms or "I AM" of the incarnating individual is
      always present. One of the most unique perspectives that Steiner gave on our
      life on earth and our life between death and rebirth is his emphasis on
      pre-natal being. I believe it is in "Study of Man" where he stresses that the
      emphasis on "immortality" or the concept of life after death so often the
      focus of world religions is actually a form of spiritual "egotism" but that
      to really begin to have an idea of our true spiritual reality, we should
      concentrate on our pre-natal life. All of the development of the earthly
      vessel, the physical body is prepared for before conception and the Spirit of
      the child is immediately present at conception - not in the egg, sperm,
      zygote and developing embryo per se, but all around it and through it. With
      the first breath of air, there is an inrushing, but it is by no means
      complete. It is a gradual process of the "growing up" of the body and the
      "growing in" of the Ego. Around the age of three, the child usually says his
      or her first "I". "I want a cookie", not "Mary wants a cookie". This is the
      beginning of the awakening of the Ego. Then the different bodies take hold -
      the change of teeth around 7, puberty around 14 - and at each stage, the
      incarnation of the Ego deepens within the physical body. The full connection
      is not reached until 21. The spheres of planetary influences are involved in
      this process as well as karma, genetics, environment, education and the
      totality of both supersensible and earthly life. It is easy to see when this
      process is thwarted through problems such as Down's Syndrome, autism and
      other developmental difficulties. These children are not able to use the word
      "I" - their "I" or Ego is blocked from entering their physical body. It is
      certainly still there, but it can't get all the way in. In cerebral palsy and
      other more physically challenging syndromes, the ego is usually "in" but
      there is a short circuit that prevents it from being able to control the
      physical body in the normal way.

      Ashley, you said that you are taking a Waldorf teacher training course. This
      information is the starting point for everything that later comes into the
      actual classroom technique. It is a big and complex subject and should be on
      of the starting points of your entire course of study. Some of the books
      which address this subject (there are many more):
      The Philosophy of Freedom - RS
      Occult Science - RS
      Theosophy - RS
      The Study of Man - RS
      The Kingdom of Childhood - RS
      Man as Symphony of the Creative Word - RS (one of my favorites)
      Life Between Death and Rebirth - RS
      Conception, Birth & Early Childhood - Dr. Norbert Glas
      A Child is Born - pregnancy, birth, early childhood - Dr. Wilhelm zur Linden
      The Way of a Child - A.C. Harwood
      Rudolf Steiner Education - Francis Edmunds

      Quite a summer reading list, eh? : ) Christine
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 3, 2002

        *******In his lectures on the Gospel Of Luke, Steiner said that the Ego, our drop of Spirit, unites with the embryo in the 3rd week, though it does not become active within the lower bodies till much later. The etheric body becomes active in the 7th week, the astral body in the 7th month, and then the Ego becomes active within all thses shortly before birth.