The Soul-Calendar

  • DocStarman@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 30, 2000
      THE "CALENDAR OF THE SOUL"
      Here’s the "Soul-Calendar" for this 24th week after Easter. The Calendar's
      52 meditative mantras enable you to consciously experience the 'astral' or
      soul events occurring within you in the course of the year. It's in the
      original German and in English.

      Sich selbst erschaffend stets,
      Wird Seelensein sich selbst gewahr;
      Der Weltengeist, er strebet fort
      In Selbsterkenntnis neu belebt
      Und schafft aus Seelenfinsternis
      Des selbstsinns Willensfrucht .

      In continually shaping one's Self,
      Soul's Being becomes of itself aware;
      The World-Spirit, it strives forward
      In Self-Knowledge newly living
      And shapes out of Soul-Darkness
      The Self-sense's Will-Fruit.

      Anthroposophy intensifies the mind by the use of images called
      "Imaginations" which awaken spiritual sight, and mantras which begin
      spiritual hearing or "Inspirations". The meaning of the words of a mantra at
      first sight is not the essential thing, but rather reciting it and entering wi
      th deeper soul-forces into its inner experience.
      These mantras were also, of course, created in the German language and
      have their rhythms in that, so learning an English version is just a step to
      using the original. Steiner spoke of how German has preserved words lost by
      other languages, and could be for us today what Sanskrit was in olden times:
      THE language in which spirit-truths are expressed. In translating therefore,
      I’ve tried to keep close to the original, so that anyone can easily go from
      English to German.

      This week's mantram:
      The season of Autumn is the Michaelmas time: in the Summer 'waking
      dream-state' , while our consciousness was turned outwards to Nature, a
      spiritual 'seed' was planted, and this now ripens into a Self-consciousness
      instead of only Nature-consciousness. This week's verse describes how the
      Soul becomes aware of itself through this constant creating of that Self;
      this Self is the World-Spirit itself in us, the universe aware of itself
      through us. we feel this now reach into the dark depths of the soul, and
      through this sensing of Self, the WILL, its fruit, is unleashed.

      * T H E W E E K S P I R I T U A L L Y *

      In addition to the mantrams, the Soul-Calendar originally contained 12
      drawings of the zodiac to be meditated on to sense the working of the solar
      forces in the cosmos in the day, and the Moon's position in the
      constellations was given for each night, to sense the lunar forces. The Sun,
      according to the Doctor, is under the influence of Virgo from September 8th
      to October 12th in our era. (The symbolic image done from Steiner's sketches
      & indications of the Virgin, Isis/Maria, accompanies this post as an
      attachment.) The Moon positions and phases are listed below for each night,
      along with the birth & death days of famous persons published in the first
      ‘Seelencalendar’: their lives and contributions are fruitful material for
      contemplation on their days. I’m translating these to restore the Calendar to
      its intended use with the full spiritual/solar/lunar connections.

      Sunday October 1st. Moon Scorpius. 1386 Founding of the University of
      Heidelburg. 1847 Annie Besant born.
      Monday October 2nd. Moon Scorpius. Frumentius (spreader of Christianity in
      Ethiopia in the 4th Century). 1892 Ernst Renan died.
      Tuesday October 3rd. Moon Scorpius. Dionysius the Aeropagite, comrade of
      Paul. Jairus (in Matthew's Gospel). Simplicius.
      Wednesday October 4th. Moon Sagittarius. Marcianus (spreader of
      Christianity in Egypt in the 4th Century).1226 Francis of Assizi died.
      Thursday October 5th. Moon Sagittarius. First Quarter. Placidus (bringer
      of Christianity to Sicily in the 6th Century). 1582 The Gregorian Calendar
      established.
      Friday October 6th. Moon Capricornus. Abraham, Isaac and Jacob. Angela
      (who converted Francis of Assizi to Christianity).
      Saturday October 7th. Moon Capricornus. Serapius.

      *******Dr. Starman

      Happy Michaelmas!