954Re: [steiner] Calendar of the Soul, Week 12 after Easter (St. John's)

    Jun 19, 2002
      ******The round of the year is still another way in which the 4 bodies, ethers & temperaments can be approached. The Summer is the Fire pole of the year and Winter the Earth pole. Spring and Summer are Watery and Airy, the 2 states between these extremes. This is the season in which the Ego is strongest, but paradoxically in a sort of waking-dream state, in which we seek to surrender the Ego to the living Spirit and have it work through us. That's the meaning of the old Midsummer's festivals and the hidden meaning of Ascension and Pentecost.

      We also experience the 4 temperaments in Time in our life-cycles. The predominant temperament of childhood is the Sanguine, while we become Choleric in the teens, then more Phlegmatic as adults, into middle age, and finally Melancholic in old age.