952Re: Introduction to Anthroposophy #2

    Jun 18, 2002
      ashley.case@... writes:
      > I am currently intested in the basics like understanding the four parts to the human being; the four incarnations of earth; the significance of Christ in Anthroposophy; nutritional implications of Anthroposophy; the four ethers; four temperaments; the notion of threefoldness vs. duality ..
      > basically the foundations of an anthroposophical world view.

      *******I explained a little of the 4 parts of we human beings last time. We got each of our 3 lower bodies in 3 previous worlds, for the whole earth---in fact the whole solar system---re-incarnates also. In old Sanscrit these great periods of the world were called Days of Brahma. In each one we lost some of our awareness of the whole universe but gained self-awareness in corresponding mesasure. The Earth, the 4th state, is the lowest of the total series of 7. At this lowest point, if an impulse had not happened to provide a "push" to help us to re-ascend, we could have been lost in disintegrating matter. The Incarnation and Resurrection of the Christ was that impulse.

      Before starting a discussion on nutrition, let's keep filling in some of the foundation on which to base it. We have the 4 bodies, and each of these has a physical reflection. The reflection or physical concentration of the physical body itself is the skeleton, and the senses. The etheric body of life-forces is seen physically in the circulating lymph and the circulating hormones secreted by the endocrine or ductless glands, which are the physical part of the 7 'chakras' of Eastern wisdom. The physical manifestation of the astral body is the nervous system, and the breathing. The Ego is the least physical of all, and it is physically not exactly the blood, but more accurately the WARMTH IN the blood.

      Everything physical is formed by etheric formative forces, and these 4 physical systems are formed by 4 kinds of 'ether': there is not one ether but many ethers, which are moreover in constant flowing movement and interaction with each other (which is why the Michaelson-Morley physics experiment a century ago which 'disproved' a single, stationary ether is meaningless). The warmth in the blood is formed by Warmth Ether, the nervous system by Light Ether, the endocrine glands by what's called either Sound, Chemical or "Number" Ether, and the skeleton by Life Ether. These were once called Fire, Air, Water and Earth.

      A person in whom the Warmth Ether is strongest (and thus the blood) is said to have a Choleric temperament, one with Light Ether (and thus the nervous system) strongest is called the Sanguine temperament, one with Chemical, Sound or Number Ether strongest (and thus the endocrine glands) is the Phlegmatic, and one who has Life Ether strongest (and thus the bones and senses) the Melancholic. The Choleric thus has a strong Ego, the Sanguine a strong astral body, the Phlegmatic a powerful etheric body and the melancholic is he in whom the physical itself is strongest.

      To Be Continued....

      Dr. Starman