901Re: [steiner] Musical Instruments

    Feb 23, 2002
      In a message dated 2/20/2002 1:51:50 PM, sarahfe@... writes:

      << I am interested in the comments about musical instruments. Could someone
      elaborate on which temperaments are drawn to which instruments?

      Thanks,
      Sarah FE >>

      This is a tricky one because there are 4 temperaments and only 3 parts of
      man, and the relation of the 3 to the 4 is elusive. What I can tell you is
      that there are only three ways of making sound: direct percussion (hitting),
      the vibration of a column of air (like your voice), and something midway
      between those two, like plucking a string (a shortened 'percussion') that
      continues to vibrate like a column of air. These are the drums, the wind
      instruments and the stringed.

      The will-oriented child wants the drums, the head-oriented one the wind
      instruments and the feeling-oriented one the strings. But how those 3 relate
      to the 4 temperaments... well.... hmmm....

      .... the choleric and the melacholic temperaments both are Will-oriented,
      but in different ways, I find. The choleric is 'young will' and the
      melancholic 'old'. Almost all the eurythmists I've known were melancholics.

      The strings appeal to both Air and Water signs (sanguine and phlegmatic).

      The phlegmatic temperament likes what continues to vibrate.

      Melodies are usually Airy but sometimes can be Fiery (e.g, Beethoven).

      Just a few thoughts...

      BTW no one has had anything whatever to say about Theosophy so is there
      any point in continuing?

      Dr. Starman

      These are also the 3 parts of music, the beat, rhythm and melody..
    • Show all 2 messages in this topic