877Calendar of the Soul, Week 43 After Easter

    Feb 4, 2002
      The "Calendar of the Soul"

      The cycle of the year can be a meditation in itself, through which you can
      sense the Beings that are behind the changing seasons, and Rudolf Steiner
      gave out the 'Calendar of the Soul' to do this. It's 52 meditative mantras
      enabling you to consciously experience the 'astral' (soul) events occurring
      within you as well as in outer Nature in the course of the year. These are
      well known to many anthroposophists; but the original Calendar published in
      1912 ALSO contained 12 Images of the Zodiac (to be meditated on to sense the
      working of the 'solar' forces in the cosmos in the day), a listing of the
      Moon's phase and position in the constellations each night (for sensing the
      'lunar' forces), and a list of saints and other spiritual figures connected
      with specific days of the week. We're presenting all that here. This week's
      mantra in the original German and in translation:

      * M A N T R A # 4 3 *
      In Winterlichen Tiefen
      Erwarmt des Geistes wahres Sein;
      Es gibt dem Weltenscheine,
      Durch Herzenskräfte Daseinsmächt
      Der Weltenkälte trotzt erstarkend
      Das Seelenfeuer in Menscheninnern.

      It Winter-like deeps
      Grows warm the Spirit’s true Being;
      It gives to World-Shining
      Through Heart’s strength Existence’s Might;
      The World-Cold despite, there strengthens
      The Soul-Fire in Man’s Innerness.

      This week's mantram:
      Last week's verse, when worked with, led us to feel the strong drive to
      continue unfolding the inner soul's power, and this gave us within our hearts
      a prophetic sensing of the reality to come in the coming spring and summer,
      when our inner selves once more sleep while the Earth awakens. This week, the
      spirit pours into the soul's fiery power growing stronger, and through the
      heart gives to the mere appearance of the outer world a reality it otherwise
      would not have.

      **********************************
      The Sun, according to the Doctor, is under the influence of Capricornus
      from Jan. 5th to Feb. 8th in our era. The symbolic image of Capricorn done
      from Steiner's sketches & indications is attached to this post.

      Sunday February 3rd. Moon Scorpio. Ansgarius (brought Christianity to the
      Swedes and Danes in the 9th century).
      Monday February 4th. Moon Scorpio. Phileas (worker for Christianity in
      Egypt in the 4th century).
      Tuesday February 5th. Moon Scorpio. Thomas Carlyle died 1881.
      Wednesday February 6th. Moon Sagittarius. 1807 Abolition of Slavery in
      England.
      Thursday February 7th. Moon Sagittarius. 1446 Columbus born.
      Friday February 8th. Moon Capricorn. Solomon, King of Israel. Leyden
      University founded 1575. David Friedrich Strauss died 1874.
      Saturday February 9th. Moon Capricorn. Apollonia, Christian martyr in
      Alexandria in the 3rd century.