799Re: Chap 9

  • sncherr
    Jan 1, 2002
      --- In steiner@y..., Carol <softabyss@y...> wrote:
      > Happy New Year!
      >
      > Steiner says:
      >
      > "One will see that this organization can have no
      > effect on the essential nature of thinking"
      >

      > It seems to me that he is taking our research to the
      > next level. In my own little way I can honestly say I
      > have kept up with him experientially so far, but with
      > this observation the thinking's essence as independent
      > of my psycho-physical organization, he is stepping, I
      > think, into a realm of Imaginative thinking

      ^`^`^`^`Well... yes, and no. On the one hand, the entire premise of
      the book is that thinking is separate from our bodily organization.
      Thinking is so enmeshed that we are not even aware at times what our
      motives are for our actions (thinking, feeling, or willing). On the
      other hand, the entire book is, by hs own words, Steiner's personal
      account of his own path to free thought.

      No one has mentioned thus far the excellent reference for study of PoF
      entitled "Rudolf Steiner On His Book The Philosophy of Freedom"
      arranged by Otto Palmer. In this book, Dr. Palmer quotes the following
      from a letter written by Dr. Stiener (about PoF) to Rosa Mayreder:

      "My reason for writing as I did, however, was purely subjective. I was
      not setting forth a doctrine, but simply recording inner experiences
      through which I had actually passed. And I reported them just as I
      experienced them. Everything in my book is written from this personal
      angle, even to the shaping of the thoughts it contains. <snip> But my
      purpose was to write a biographical acoount of how one human soul made
      the difficult ascent to freedom."

      A fascinating aside about this book--Otto Palmer was a German POW when
      he first read "Philosohpy of Freedom". Apparently he had been
      introduced to Steiner by his mother before his capture as a german
      soldier in WW1. Of the few letters he wrote, one was to Rudolf Steiner
      who responded by sending him a copy of his (then) newly published book
      "Philosophy of Freedom". Palmer received the book none other than New
      Year's day, 1919.

      Sarah
    • Show all 6 messages in this topic