648Calendar of the Soul, Week 31 after Easter

    Nov 12, 2001
      The cycle of the year can be a meditation in itself, through which you can
      sense the Beings that are behind the changing seasons, and Rudolf Steiner
      gave out the 'Calendar of the Soul' to do this. It's 52 meditative mantras
      enabling one to consciously experience the 'astral' (soul) events occurring
      within you as well as in external Nature in the course of the year. These are
      well known to many anthroposophists; but the ORIGINAL Calendar published in
      1912 ALSO contained 12 images of the zodiac (to be meditated on to sense the
      working of the 'solar' forces in the cosmos in the day), and the Moon's
      position in the constellations was listed for each night, for sensing the
      'lunar' forces). There was also a list of saints and other spiritual figures
      to meditate on connected with specific days of the week, because the
      entrances and exits of human spirits are also connected with the cosmos and
      Time. We're presenting all that here each week---this has not been done since
      1912, as far as we know, and is available nowhere else, not even at the
      Goetheanum.

      First, this week's meditative mantra in the original German and in
      translation:

      * M A N T R A # 3 0 *

      Das Licht aus Geistestiefen,
      Nach aussen strebt es sonnenhaft:
      Es wird zur Lebenswillenskraft
      Und leuchtet in der Sinne Dumpfheit,
      Um Kräfte zu entbinden,
      Die Schaffensmächte aus Seelentrieben
      In Menschenwerke reifen lassen.

      The Light out of Spirit-Deeps
      Strives outwards like the Sun:
      It turns into Life-Will-Force
      And shines into the Senses' Dullness,
      The Powers to unbind,
      That Shaping-Might out of Soul-Drives
      In Man's Work will let ripen.

      The anthroposophic path uses symbolic images ("Imaginations") to awaken
      spiritual sight and mantras ("Inspirations") to begin spiritual hearing. The
      meaning of the words of a mantra at first sight is not important, but rather
      reciting it and entering with deeper soul-forces into its inner experience.
      original; I’ve kept close to it in translating, so anyone can easily go from
      English to German.

      This week's mantram:
      The season of Autumn is the Michaelmas time, in which we are meant to
      develop Self (inner)-consciousness instead of the Nature
      (outer)-consciousness we had all Summer. Last week, we felt this growing
      thinking consciousness directing all our feelings from vagueness to
      certainty, as our summer soul-experience awakened fully. This week, the verse
      focuses our attention on the spiritual light of thinking and how it seeks to
      turn to the outer world, turning into will-forces for living and illuminating
      the otherwise dull sense-existence, and thus turning the blind urges of the
      soul into creatively-shaping forces.

      * T H E W E E K S P I R I T U A L L Y *

      The Sun, according to the Doctor, is under the influence of Scorpio from
      Nov. 10th to 30th in our era. The symbolic image of Scorpio done from
      Steiner's sketches & indications accompanies this post as an attachment.
      The Moon positions and phases for the week are listed below along with some
      of the spiritual figures connected with the days.

      Sunday November 11th. Moon Virgo. St. Martin's Day.
      Monday November 12th. Moon Virgo. 1869 Maler Fr. Overbeck died.
      Tuesday November 13th. Moon Libra. Nicholas I (was in the 9th century as
      Pope defender of celibacy for priests).
      Wednesday November 14th. Moon Libra. 1716 the Philosopher Leibnitz died.
      1825 Jean Paul died. 1831 Hegel died.
      Thursday November 15th. Moon Skorpius. New Moon. Albertus Magnus (the great
      scholar and researcher of the 13th century, Teacher of Thomas Aquinas). 1630
      Astronomer Kepler died. 1738 Astronomer Herschel born. 1741 Lavater born.
      Friday November 16th. Moon Skorpius. Edmund (King of England).
      Saturday November 10th. Moon Skorpius. 1875 Blavatsky founded the
      Theosophical Society.