618Calendar of the Soul, Week 25

    Sep 30, 2001
      For those new to the 'Calendar': the cycle of the year can be a meditation
      in itself, through which you can sense the Beings that are behind the
      changing seasons, and Rudolf Steiner gave out the 'Calendar of the Soul' to
      do this. It's made up of 52 meditative mantras enabling one to consciously
      experience the 'astral' (soul) events occurring within you as well as in
      external Nature in the course of the year.

      The 52 mantras are well known to many anthroposophists, but the original
      Calendar published in 1912 ALSO contained 12 images of the zodiac (to be
      meditated on to sense the working of the 'solar' forces in the cosmos in the
      day) and the Moon's position in the constellations was listed for each night
      (for sensing the 'lunar' forces), as well as a list of saints and other
      spiritual figures to meditate on connected with specific days of the week,
      because the entrances and exits of human spirits are also connected with the
      cosmos and Time. We're presenting all that here each week---this has not been
      done since 1912, and is available nowhere else.

      First, this week's meditative mantra in the original German and in
      translation:

      * M A N T R A # 2 5 *

      Ich darf nun mir gehören
      Und leuchtend breiten Innenlicht
      In Raumes- und in Zeitenfinsternis.
      Zum Schlafe drängt natürlich Wesen,
      Der Seele Tiefen sollen wachen
      Qnd wachend tragen Sonnengluten
      In kalte Winterfluten.

      I now must belong only to myself
      And lightening, spread Inner Light
      Into Space and Time darkness.
      As towards sleep draws all natural Essence,
      The Souls's Deeps shall awaken
      And waking, carry the Sun's Glow
      Into the cold Winter-flowing.

      This week's mantram:
      The season of Autumn is the Michaelmas time, in which we are meant to
      develop Self(inner)-consciousness instead of the Nature(outer)-consciousness
      we have in summer. Last week in the soul, there was an intense becoming aware
      of itself which reached down into the dark soul-contents, and through this
      the Will was unleashed. This week this developing self-consciousness places
      us in a state where it is necessary to be completely alone, so that the Light
      which is only within can be shed on the otherwise dark outer world. This is
      the solar essence we carry within us into the night-time of the year.

      About Michaelmas:
      At the time of change from Summer to Winter, we cease to be conscious of
      the external world and instead become conscious again of ourselves, as if
      awakening from a summer dream-state. Our Nature-Consciousness strives to
      become inner Self Consciousness. But at first we may feel FEAR due to no
      longer being able to lean on outer things for consciousness, which is why the
      symbol of the warrior Archangel is placed before us at Michaelmas, summoning
      us to have courage---for we are not going to die as our summer
      nature-consciousness wanes, but rather AWAKEN. May this Michaelmas find us
      all with the strength needed to face the Dragon.

      some of the spiritual figures connected with the days. Attached to this post
      is the symbolic image of the constellation of the Virgin---the Doctor said
      the Sun is under its influence from Sept. 8th to Oct. 12th in our era.

      Sunday September 30th. Moon Aquarius. Hieronymus, died 420, Christian Church
      teacher.
      Monday October 1st. Moon Pisces. 1386 Founding of the University of
      Heidelburg.
      1847 Annie Besant born.
      Tuesday October 2nd. Moon Pisces. Full Moon. Frumentius (spreader of
      Christianity in
      Ethiopia in the 4th Century). 1892 Ernst Renan died.
      Wednesday October 3rd. Moon Aries. Dionysius the Aeropagite, comrade of
      Paul.
      Jairus (in Matthew's Gospel). Simplicius.
      Thursday October 4th. Moon Aries. Marcianus (spreader of Christianity in
      Egypt in the 4th
      Century).1226 Francis of Assizi died.
      Friday October 5th. Moon Taurus. Placidus (bringer of Christianity to Sicily
      in the 6th
      Century). 1582 The Gregorian Calendar became established.
      Saturday October 6th. Moon Taurus. Abraham, Isaac and Jacob. Angela (who
      converted
      Francis of Assizi to Christianity).