577Calendar of the Soul week 8

  • starmann77@aol.com
    Jun 4, 2001
      Sorry to be late with this week's. Going to send on Saturdays from now on so
      those who want to work with the mantras can have them on Sundays.*******

      For those new to the 'Calendar': the cycle of the year can be a
      meditation in itself, through which you can sense the Beings that are behind
      the changing seasons, and Steiner gave out the 'Calendar of the Soul' to do
      this. It's made up of 52 meditative mantras enabling one to consciously
      experience the 'astral' (soul) events occurring within you as well as in
      external Nature in the course of the year.

      The 52 mantras (for which Steiner later gave the eurythmy forms) are well
      known to many anthroposophists, but the original Calendar in 1912 ALSO
      contained 12 images of the zodiac (to be meditated on to sense the working of
      the 'solar' forces in the cosmos in the day) and the Moon's position in the
      constellations was listed for each night (for sensing the 'lunar' forces).
      There was also a list of saints and other spiritual figures to meditate on
      connected with specific days of the week, because the entrances and exits of
      human spirits are also connected with the cosmos and Time. We're presenting
      all that here each week. (This has not been done since 1912 and is available
      nowhere else, as far as I know; I have the original 'Calendar' in German and
      am translating it section by section, and 12 Zodiac images by Magaret
      Roessler after von Eckherdstein's originals).

      First, this week's meditative mantra in the original German and in
      translation:

      * M A N T R A # 8 *
      Es wächst der Sinne Macht
      Im Bunde mit der Götter Schaffen,
      Sie drückt des Denkens Kraft
      Zur Traumes Dumpfheit mir herab.
      Wenn göttlich Wesen
      Sich meiner Seele einen will,
      Muss menschlich Denken
      Im Traumessein sich still bescheiden.

      There waxes the Senses’ Might
      In Union with the Gods’ Shaping,
      It draws my Thinking’s Power
      Down to Dream Dimness.
      When godly Essence
      With my soul would become one,
      Must Man’s Thinking
      Quietly humble itself to Dream-existence.

      About this week's mantra:
      Spring is when we change from an inner "self-consciousness" to outer
      "nature-consciousness". In all the spring verses, the inner self has been
      directed to the outer world of the senses. Last week, a counter-force came
      in, a feeling of foreboding about the future, to keep thinking from losing
      itself in the outer world. This week thinking is necassarily dimmed down to
      the level of dream-consciousness by the power of the senses.

      some of the spiritual figures connected with the days. Attached to this post
      is the JPEG image of the sign Taurus (the Doctor said the Sun is under its
      influence till June 15th in our era.)

      Sunday June 3rd. Moon Libra. Clotilde.
      Monday June 4th. Moon Skorpius. Karpasius.
      Tuesday June 5th. Moon Skorpius. New Moon. Boniface (the Apostle to Germany
      in the 8th century).
      Wednesday June 6th. Moon Sagittarius. Julian the Apostate born 331.
      Thursday June 7th. Moon Sagittarius. Lucian.
      Friday June 8th. Moon Capricornus. Muhammed died 632.
      Saturday June 9th. Moon Capricornus. Columban.