5492Re: Pre and Post Steiner

  • juancompostella
    Aug 17, 2012
      Tom, I dreamed all last night about how important Steiner's main work was. It makes Rands "objectivism" an important side-note to her beliefs for what our country means in its true perspective. In other words, America must live up to what the Consciousness Soul era means to bring forth. She saw this in a very "unblinkered way", it seems to me; albeit with the materialistic (capitalist) trappings.

      Steiner never came to America, and possibly despised it for its preponderance of ahrimanic spiritual geography. Rand came here the year after he died, c. 1926, and she gave us something that is assuredly from the Russian Folk Soul, which Steiner knew had a future for the good, if it wasn't beaten down by the forces of evil.

      I think she saw this before she died. She saw how much our country is in a trap that wants to force the one-sided economics on the whole world. Still, she saw this country as a far greater place than hers of the oppression years in 'bolshevik' Russia.

      --- In steiner@yahoogroups.com, "be23566" <fairoaks@...> wrote:

      > I found this in Ayn Rand's essay THE OBJECTIVIST ETHICS.
      > "The basic social principle of the Objectivist ethics is that just
      > as life is an end in itself, so every living human being is an end in
      > himself, not the means to the ends or the welfare of others—and,
      > therefore, that man must live for his own sake, neither sacrificing
      > himself to others nor sacrificing others to himself. To live for his own
      > sake means that the achievement of his own happiness is man's
      > highest moral purpose."
      >
      > That sounds like Steiner's Philosophy Of Freedom, almost. Steiner adds
      > the question: What is man's highest pleasure? This brings in the element
      > of ideals that seems to be narrowly fixed with Rand. Steiner has a long
      > chapter examining the pursuit of happiness in POF Chapter 13 The Value
      > Of Life. He concludes our main concern is not the pursuit of "happiness"
      > as such, but we are driven by a desire to achieve our moral ideals,
      > which would be individual, and could cause us great misery with only
      > brief moments of happiness. So this self-fulfillment doesn't necessarily
      > lead to selfishness, but could also lead to helping others, if that was
      > a "freely" selected ideal by the individual.
      >
      > [46] "Moral ideals have their root in the moral imagination of man.
      > Their realization depends on the desire for them being sufficiently
      > intense to overcome pains and agonies. They are man's own intuitions. In
      > them his spirit braces itself to action. They are what he wills, because
      > their realization is his highest pleasure. He needs no Ethical theory
      > first to forbid him to strive for pleasure and then to prescribe to him
      > what he shall strive for. He will, of himself, strive for moral ideals
      > provided his moral imagination is sufficiently active to inspire him
      > with the intuitions, which give strength to his will to overcome all
      > resistance."
      > Tom Last
      > http://www.philosophyoffreedom.com <http://www.philosophyoffreedom.com/>
      >
      > --- In steiner@yahoogroups.com, "juancompostella" <juancompostella@>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > --- In steiner@yahoogroups.com, Stephen Clarke hozhonahasglii@ wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Some interesting thinking and original ideas here on these subjects,
      > esp. on the POF.
      > > >
      > > > Odd, but nice.
      > > >

      > > > No complaints from me.
      > > >
      > > > Stephen
      > >
      > > Odd it is, indeed. Rand might have actually been closer to Aristotle
      > than most people even think; a latter-day disciple in the vein of Strato
      > of Lampsachus, who succeeded Theophrastus after 35 years, when his
      > nominee was overruled by some higher council. Apparently, Theophrastus
      > had Neleius (his nominee for successorship) take both his and
      > Aristotle's libraries taken away and kept until the estate of Neleius
      > was found by the book-buyer, Apellicon in the 1st century BC.
      > >
      > > Thereupon, Apellicon sold them three ways; to Athens, Pergamum, and
> [...]
    • Show all 13 messages in this topic