5489Re: Pre and Post Steiner

  • be23566
    Aug 17, 2012

       I found this in Ayn Rand's essay THE OBJECTIVIST ETHICS.
      "The basic social principle of the Objectivist ethics is that just as life is an end in itself, so every living human being is an end in himself, not the means to the ends or the welfare of others—and, therefore, that man must live for his own sake, neither sacrificing himself to others nor sacrificing others to himself. To live for his own sake means that the achievement of his own happiness is man's highest moral purpose."

      That sounds like Steiner's Philosophy Of Freedom, almost. Steiner adds the question: What is man's highest pleasure? This brings in the element of ideals that seems to be narrowly fixed with Rand. Steiner has a long chapter examining the pursuit of happiness in POF Chapter 13 The Value Of Life. He concludes our main concern is not the pursuit of "happiness" as such, but we are driven by a desire to achieve our moral ideals, which would be individual, and could cause us great misery with only brief moments of happiness. So this self-fulfillment doesn't necessarily lead to selfishness, but could also lead to helping others, if that was a "freely" selected ideal by the individual.

       [46] "Moral ideals have their root in the moral imagination of man. Their realization depends on the desire for them being sufficiently intense to overcome pains and agonies. They are man's own intuitions. In them his spirit braces itself to action. They are what he wills, because their realization is his highest pleasure. He needs no Ethical theory first to forbid him to strive for pleasure and then to prescribe to him what he shall strive for. He will, of himself, strive for moral ideals provided his moral imagination is sufficiently active to inspire him with the intuitions, which give strength to his will to overcome all resistance."

      Tom Last
      http://www.philosophyoffreedom.com

      --- In steiner@yahoogroups.com, "juancompostella" <juancompostella@...> wrote:

      > --- In steiner@yahoogroups.com, Stephen Clarke hozhonahasglii@ wrote:
      > >
      > > Some interesting thinking and original ideas here on these subjects, esp. on the POF.
      > >
      > > Odd, but nice.
      > >

      > > No complaints from me.
      > >
      > > Stephen
      >
      > Odd it is, indeed. Rand might have actually been closer to Aristotle than most people even think; a latter-day disciple in the vein of Strato of Lampsachus, who succeeded Theophrastus after 35 years, when his nominee was overruled by some higher council. Apparently, Theophrastus had Neleius (his nominee for successorship) take both his and Aristotle's libraries taken away and kept until the estate of Neleius was found by the book-buyer, Apellicon in the 1st century BC.
      >
      > Thereupon, Apellicon sold them three ways; to Athens, Pergamum, and Rome.
      >
      > So, Ayn Rand could be a 'Stratos' reincarnated for the sake of the mineralized west in the 20th century, and wanting to redeem *himself* to the idea of ego consciousness as the maximum supreme, when we finally take it to the evil forces that hold sway today.
      >
      > I think Ayn Rand had the idea of an individual human being as happy and self-fulfilling as her main goal. Would that be right?
      >
      > Juan

    • Show all 13 messages in this topic