5352Soul-Calendar, Week 23 after Easter

    Sep 25, 2011
    • 1 Attachment
    • 29 KB
    The 'CALENDAR OF THE SOUL'

        Dr. Rudolf Steiner gave out the 'Soul-Calendar' in 1912, consisting of 52 meditative mantras to enable us to experience the 'astral' (soul) events occurring within us as well as in Nature during the year, starting with the 1st mantra every year on Easter Sunday. We experience this unconsciously all through the year, but these meditative verses enable us to become conscious of it.

    The mantras for each week are well known to many students of Steiner, but the original 'Calendar ' also had 12 Images of the Zodiac, to be meditated with each month (to sense the working of the 'solar' forces in the cosmos), plus a listing of the Moon's phases & position in the signs each night (for sensing the 'lunar' forces), and a list of dates of births and deaths of spiritual figures and dates of events to contemplate on specific days. Here's the Soul-Calendar restored to this complete form, with some details added on the planets this week as well.

            THE ZODIAC IMAGE

        The Sun, according to the Doctor, is under the influence of the constellation VIRGO from Sept. 8th to Oct. 12th in our era. A version (done by Margot Roessler) of a new symbolic image of the VIRGIN from the original Soul-Calendar (created originally by artist Imma von Eckherdstein from Dr. Steiner's sketches & indications) in the color he said corresponded to the sign, indigo, is attached to this e-mail.

     *  M A N T R A  # 2 3  *

    Es dämpfet herbstlich sich

    Der Sinne Reizesstreben;

    In Lichtesoffenbarung mischen

    Der Nebel dumpfe Schleier sich.

    Ich selber schau in Raumesweiten

    Des Herbstes Winterschlaf.

    Der Sommer hat an mich

    Sich selber hingegeben.

    There is muffled Autumnally

    The Senses' streaming Charms;

    Into the Light-Revealings is mingled

    The Fog's musty Veil.

    I can myself see in the Widths of Space

    The Autumn's Winter-Sleep.

    The Summer has to me

    Its own self given over.

        Last week, what was received spiritually from the Summer Light and Warmth was felt as an ongoing power within, releasing the fruit of its working, to evolve a Self out of the World-Self.

       This is because, at the time of change from Summer to Winter, we cease to be conscious of the external world and instead become conscious again of ourselves, as if awakening from a summer dream-state. Our Nature-Consciousness strives to become inner Self Consciousness, but at first we may feel fear due to no longer being able to lean on outer things for consciousness, which is why the symbol of the warrior archangel is placed before us at Michaelmas, summoning us to have courage, for we are not going to die as our summer nature-consciousness wanes, but rather wake up.

       This week's verse is the first appearance of Autumn dulling the senses' summer brilliance; but that which has been gained from the summer-experience now becomes our inner self-experience.

    THE DAYS OF THE WEEK:

    Sunday, September 25th. Moon Virgo. Cleophas (he who was a leader in the Gospels).

     Monday, September 26th. Moon Libra. Justina, who converted the Cyprian Magicians.  Justinianus I, the founder of numerous Churches.

      Tuesday, September 27th. Moon Libra. New Moon. Cosmas and Damian, famous medical benefactors of the 3rd Century. 1825 Opening of the first railway.

    .Wednesday, September 28th. Moon Scorpio.  1895 the Natural Scientist Pasteur died.

    Thursday, September 29th. Moon Scorpio. Michael (the Archangel).

    Friday, September 30th. Moon Sagittarius .Hieronymus, died 420, Christian Church teacher

    Saturday, October 1st. Moon  Sagittarius1386 Founding of the University of Heidelburg.  1847 Annie Besant born.

    ******* PLANETS IN THE NIGHT SKY:

    Jupiter is the bright "star" high in the southern sky from shortly before midnight till dawn.

    ******* PLANETS IN THE MORNING SKY:

    "Morning star" dim, reddish Mars is visible in the east just before sunrise.