5232Soul-Calendar, Week 27 after Easter

    Oct 3, 2010
         The mantras for each week are well known to many students of Steiner, but the original 'Calendar ' also had 12 Images of the Zodiac, to be meditated with each month (to sense the working of the 'solar' forces in the cosmos), plus a listing of the Moon's phases & position in the signs each night (for sensing the 'lunar' forces), and a list of dates of births and deaths of spiritual figures and dates of events to contemplate on specific days. Here's the Soul-Calendar restored to this complete form, with some details added on the planets in the night sky this week as well.

                                                           ****** *
                THE ZODIAC IMAGE
       The Sun, according to the Doctor, is under the influence of the constellation VIRGO from September 8th to Oct. 12th in our era.  A version (done by Margaret Roessler) of a new symbolic image of the VIRGIN from the original Soul-Calendar (created originally by artist Imma von Eckherdstein from Dr. Steiner's sketches & indications) in the color he said corresponded to the sign, Indigo, is attached to this e-mail.

     *  M A N T R A  # 2 7  *

    In meines Wesens Tiefen dringen:

    Erregt ein ahnungsvolles Sehnen,

    Dass ich mich selbstbetrachtend finde,

    Als Sommersonnengabe, die als Keim

    In Herbstesstimmung wärmend lebt

    Als meiner Seele Kräftetriebe.

    In my essence's depths is a force:

    It excites a premonition-filled yearning

    That I, in my self-contemplation, find

    As Summer-Sun's gift---which as a seed

    In Autumn's approach, warming lives

    As my Soul's Power-Drive.

    This week's mantra:

       The season of Autumn is the Michaelmas time, in which we are meant to develop Self (inner)-consciousness instead of the Nature (outer)-consciousness we have in Summer.

       Two weeks ago this developing self-consciousness placed us in a state of being completely alone; last week this developing ego-consciousness, the gift of the soul's experience in Summer, we carried into our own Wills, and this gave backbone to the drives of our human spirits so that they had a stamp of Self-feeling; this is the solar essence we carry within us into the 'night-time' of the year.

        This week's verse describes a feeling of simply finding a driving force present in our soul depths as a result of this; when I look within, I find a strong yearning for what I sense must now begin to happen in the future; a powerful force lives in the soul's drives which we must sense as a seed of future development as we press on into the Autumn.

                                                ***** ********* ********* *

              THE DAYS OF THE WEEK:

    Sunday, October 3rd. Moon Leo. Dionysius the Aeropagite, comrade of Paul. Jairus (in Matthew's Gospel). Simplicius.

    Monday,  October 4th.  Moon Virgo. Marcianus (spreader of Christianity in Egypt in the 4th Century).1226 Francis of Assizi died.

    Tuesday,  October 5th. Moon Virgo. Placidus (bringer of Christianity to Sicily in the 6th Century). 1582 The Gregorian Calendar became established

    Wednesday,   October 6th. Moon Libra. Abraham, Isaac and Jacob. Angela (who converted Francis of Assizi to Christianity).

    Thursday,   October 7th. Moon Libra. New Moon. Serapius.

    Friday,    October 8th. Moon Scorpio.  Ephraim (Joseph's Son). 1502 Founding of the University of Wittenberg.

    Saturday,    October 9th. Moon Scorpio. Dionysius (he who conducted the counting of the years since the Birth of Christ and decided the the method for fixing the celebration of the Easter festival).

    ******* PLANETS IN THE NIGHT SKY:
    VENUS is an evening star in the West, low above the setting sun. MARS is dimly visble close to it with binoculars or a telescope.
    JUPITER rises in the East as Venus sets. You can see both about 7:30 PM.