      To: steiner@yahoogroups.com
      From: peter.lam41@...
      Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2009 18:47:18 -0800
      Subject: [steiner] different approaches to anthroposophy

      Thanks again to Starman, your piece again helps me get a fresh perspective on several things.  You touch on many relevant matters, which could also give rise to several new 'threads'.  To keep my piece from being too long, I won't take you up on everything here.  On reading through before sending, I hope my style does not appear unfriendly, it is not meant to be.

      Your post of 15 Dec suggests much less the conservative I had thought on the basis of your post of 13 Dec, although even the latter indicated a certain independence for example in the suggestion:  "If he were alive today, he'd probably start doing a series of lessons via the Internet, podcasting, etc...".   It just happens that of all the files I saw 'uplifted' to this site I have opened only one:  Prokofieff's "The Being of the Internet" dating from 2005.  Interesting to compare, especially if you read the whole article including towards the end 'The Exceptionality of the Class Texts'.

      The reference to the 'safest path' etc you have in mind is probably part of chapter 5 of Occult Science which appears in parenthesis:  "(The path that leads to sense free thinking by way of the communications of spiritual science is thoroughly reliable and sure.  There is however another that is even more sure, and above all more exact; at the same time, it is for many people also more difficult.  The path in question is set forth in my books The Theory of Knowledge implicit in Goethe's World-Conception and The Philosophy of Spiritual Activity....").  Quoted from G and M Adam's translation, oddly the more recent C E Creeger translation omits the bit about it being more difficult for many people.  Being more difficult for many people is somewhat different to your "the most difficult for men in our time".  (People generally also like to include women these days as in fact Steiner did.)

      On the question of these two paths, a very interesting more recent source is Florin Lowndes'  Enlivening the Chakra of the Heart, especially chapter 2 of part four.  Original German of 1996.  Lowndes in turn gives many further references to Steiner and quotes the same passage from Occult Science  referred to above.  One Lowndes' quote of Steiner reads:  "People have not managed to read the Philosophy of Freedom in a different way from other books.  And that is what is needed, and  must be emphasized in no uncertain terms, for otherwise the development of the Anthroposophical Society will lag far behind the development of anthroposophy.  In which case anthroposophy, taking a round-about path through the Anthroposophical Society, will be wholly misunderstood by the world - and nothing can result from this but conflict upon conflict!"  Although from 6 Feb 1923, this statement does not seem to me to be overtaken by events.