5018RE: [steiner] akasha

    Apr 10, 2009
      Dunward: « "Spiritual" thinking can be understood by studying Dr.
      Steiner's philosophical works or any of his basic books. »

      Yes Dunward, spiritual thinking can be understood following this
      path– if approached in an unprejudiced manner – but would this
      exercise guarantee that the conceived 'spiritual thinking' will be far
      reaching. I believe that such 'far-reaching' ideal in spiritual
      thinking unfolds within an individual who first humby labours to
      transforms his lower soul bodies – and this will take TIME, EFFORT
      and great courage – and during as well as onward, there arrives the
      complex 'task' by which an individual student of spiritual science
      must begin to permit the Higer Realms to reveal inner meaning of outward
      life to his/her soul by way of spiritual concepts..

      And Michaelic courage is fundament to this ...

      Dunward: « ..(It's unfortunate that the word spiritual has come to
      mean a "nice" person or vaguely "moral." That's an absurd
      oversimplification and doesn't help with understanding what spiritual
      thinking could mean.) »

      Sometimes through Anthroposophic experience, a person is moved show
      interest in their fellowman and LOVE the (Christ seed) potential
      residing in living souls which enables them too, to reflect the will of
      the Higher Realms.

      A concept from out of Christ Jesus's life which impresses me in this
      regard is the instance where Christ Jesus stooped down and washed the
      feet of someone lower than He. Christ Jesus showed, by example of
      humility and gratitude to one lower than He that without the obvious
      pressing vulnerable shown by mankind, He would not have had reason to
      come...

      Dunward, if I, an Anthroposophist, on chosen occasions permit myself to
      lend an ear to what my 'nice and vaguely moral' earthly brother or
      sister wish to convey, I do so following the example of the Living
      Christ and do so in expression of humility towards Michael.

      Our earthly life is extremely complex and have confirmation of this, you
      have only to consider how many lectures Rudolf Steiner gave - and I'm
      sure that in the end, he remained somewhat dissapointed for not
      having had a chance to convey alittle more...

      Hello Carol,

         Unfortunately you seem to have misunderstood what I wrote as much as you misunderstood my name. Perhaps English is not your native language? I am reproducing the entire post below, as the parts you responded to would not be helpful for anyone trying to understand what "spiritual thinking" means in anthroposophy. It would have been much better to respond to the central part of it instead of read the 2 introductory sentences and then stop.

        To keep it simple, let's stick to what can be perceived by the senses, things in nature. If I look at a lily, the white color of its flowers (if it's in bloom, as many are now, at Eastertime) strikes me, and I may say "How beautiful". None of that--- the temporary appearance of the plant now, nor my feelings about it--- has anything to do with the SSSENTIAL NATURE of the plant, its being or spirit. If, however, I think the idea "lily" as a botanist does, with all the scientific understanding of this particular species of plant that comes from that thinking, THAT is operating on the spirit-level. Thinking in ESSENCES.

         Instead of Durward or Carol, think the thought "the human being." Granted, non-scientsts might need to practice a bit to do it. Try a few thoughts like these: quartz crystal, perennial plant, organism, substance, activity. All those are good examples of pure thinking. If you have not done any in awhile, you might need to study each one to make an empty word into an idea you can think.

          If you're not able to do so, let's continue the conversation about thinking, but not with emotions as they are not part of it. (Once you HAVE spiritual thoughts you will develop feelings for them, but if trying to have them at first, emotions are pointless.)

        And by the way, the idea "substance" does not have to mean physical substance like the elements. The akasha is etheric/astral substance. Thinking in pure essences uses astral (soul) "substance".

        -starman

      Subject: RE: [steiner] akasha

      *******

         "Spiritual" thinking can be understood by studying Dr. Steiner's philosophical works or any of his basic books. (It's unfortunate that the word spiritual has come to mean a "nice" person or vaguely "moral." That's an absurd oversimplification and doesn't help with understanding what spiritual thinking could mean.)

         When you look at plants or any other natural things, the BODY is what tells you of their appearance (which of course is only temporary and constantly changes, to a greater or lesser extent). It does so through the senses. Through your SOUL, you make an image inside of what you perceive, and also have pleasure or displeasure in it: I like this flower's color, I don't like the smell of stinkweed. But whether you like a plant's appearance or not has nothing to do with the plant's objective nature. When you study plants scientifically, as a botanist does, then your THINKING, which is a SPIRITUAL ACTION--- TRUE thinking, not merely the "having of mental images"--- is able to grasp the ESSENCE of a thing. THINKING IN ESSENCES IS SPIRITUAL THINKING---- as opposed to the mere outer appearances of things, or your feelings of like/dislike about them. It is something that we are born able to do but which many adults do only rarely, unfortunately- -- but like any unused muscle, it can be developed again. We participate in the eternal through THIS kind of thinking, hence the knowledge of eternal Truth as well as of what is morally Good comes from it.

         A good place to work towards understanding this is the first chapter of Theosophy, which our small study group just went through. Just read the first few pages on Spirit, Soul and Body.

      Starman

      > ============ =======
      > Hi Starman,
      > Wasn't sure you were still around, but I am glad that you are. Last time
      > I thought you said you would be devoting your time to other matters.
      >
      > In regards to a Steiner lecture that was read the other day, it was
      > mentioned that the spiritual thoughts of humans are recorded in the Akasha.
      > What do you think constitutes spiritual thought?
      >
      > [GA 152]
      > "What a man acquires in the way of occult knowledge lives not only in
      > his soul but is inscribed into the Akasha-substance of the world. When
      > we make a thought of occult science come alive in our souls, it is at
      > once inscribed into the Akasha-substance and this is of significance for
      > the general evolution of the world. For no being in the whole world
      > other than man is able to make in the Akasha-substance the inscriptions
      > that can be called by the name of Occult Science.
      >
      > It is important to bear in mind one characteristic feature of the
      > Akasha-substance, namely that in the spiritual world between death and a
      > new birth, man lives in this substance, just as here on the earth he
      > lives in the atmosphere."
      > -----
      > Also, we are warned not think of the spiritual as a very fine or wispy
      > material substance. But here he is saying that the Akasha is substance.
      > Any thoughts? Can anyone expand on this to help me understand?

      Recent Activity
        Visit Your Group
        Give Back
        Yahoo! for Good