4829Re: Find (another) Steiner-said?

  • Robert Mason
    Jul 8, 2008
      To *******, who wrote:

      >>Steiner said (in "Ancient Myths", Lecture # 7, 13th Jan., 1918: "about 25-26,000 yrs ago the Lemurian age came to an end... 12 epochs ago, the sun was in the same position" . . . .<<

      Robert writes:

      Yes, here are Steiner's words from that
      lecture:
      <http://wn.rsarchive.org/Lectures/AncientMyths/19180113p01.html>

      "Let us turn our attention to the seventh epoch of the Lemurian civilization. It lies approximately 25,900 years before our epoch. It was about 25,000-26,000 years ago that this seventh epoch of the Lemurian age came to an end on earth. However remarkable it may sound, there is a certain resemblance between this seventh Lemurian epoch and our own epoch. Similarities are as we know always to be found between successive periods, similarities of the most diverse kinds. We have found a close similarity between our age and the Egypto-Chaldean. We will now speak of one which is more distant; there is also externally, cosmically, a resemblance. You know that our epoch which begins in about the 15th century of the Christian era is connected with the cosmos through the fact that since that time the sun has its Vernal Point in Pisces, in the constellation of Pisces, the Fishes. The sun had previously been for 2,160 years in the constellation of Aries, the Ram, at
      the Vernal Equinox. Here in this seventh Lemurian epoch (left) there were similar conditions. Twelve epochs ago the sun was in the same position. So that towards the end of the Lemurian age there were conditions similar to ours."

      Reading this in the natural way, it
      does seem that RS is using *years* in
      the usual sense, referring back to the
      end of the Lemurian age. So apparently,
      Davy got it wrong; maybe he meant the
      middle of the Lumurian age?

      -- A couple of cautionary notes:

      The vernal point actually entered the
      sidereal constellation of Pisces in 209 AD
      (taking the Babylonian arrangement of the
      sidereal Zodiac into 12 neat 30-degree
      constellations). Since we are now in the
      Piscean cultural epoch (the fifth post-
      Atlantean), which began in 1413 AD, there is
      apparently a 1204-year lag between the entrance
      of the vernal point into a sidereal
      constellation and the beginning of its
      corresponding 2160-year cultural epoch.

      And: In the 6th lecture of Steiner's 3rd
      scientific course (the so-called "Astronomy
      Course") he says:

      "The Ancient Indian epoch comes very near to the
      time when glacial conditions prevailed in our
      regions of the Earth. A culture like the
      Ancient Indian could only develop when such
      climatic conditions, more or less, as we enjoy
      in the Temperate zone today, extended to what
      is now the Equator. You can deduce it simply
      from the relative advance or retreat of the
      ice; tropical conditions did not come about in
      India until a must later time, when in more
      northerly regions the ice had receded."

      So: Here Steiner seems to imply that the last
      ice age persisted (at least in Europe) well
      into the first post-Atlantean cultural epoch,
      because the climate in India then had to be
      temperate. That's about 3700 to 5800 years
      after 11000 BC. -- A contradiction?

      I guess that here, as so often, we have to
      allow that Steiner was speaking
      extemporaneously, hurriedly, and only
      approximately. In this cycle he repeatedly
      remarked about how he couldn't go into much
      detail and had to leave it to his students to
      work out the details. At least, it seems, we
      have to allow that the phrase *very nearly* has
      to be taken as only a rough approximation.

      Robert M
    • Show all 4 messages in this topic