4752Re: Fercher von Steinwand and Mani

    Mar 2, 2008

      I see some positives in living in a declining civilization.

      While society crumbles away, the social ties that bind the individual to tradition and conformity are also loosened; consequently people are freer than ever to explore the Mysteries, i.e. anthroposophy.

      Progress can be made—even in dying cultures, after all—on the level of "the individual".

      I see myself getting along equally well in both stages of culture, both the high and the low.  I'm comfortable at a Rammstein concert as I am at a recital of Saint Matthew's Passion.

      Ultimately, societal problems are in God's hands, not mine.

      --- In steiner@yahoogroups.com, Robert Mason <robertsmason_99@...> wrote:

      > To All:
      >
      > I still haven't found any information that
      > directly connects Fercher with Mani, but I have
      > found some statements that RS made about
      > Fercher. For instance:
      >
      > (*Riddle of Man*: "Pictures from the Thought-
      > Life of Austria") "I learned to know him
      > [Fercher] at the end of the 1880's in Vienna
      > and for a short time associated with him
      > personally."
      >
      > (*The Story of My Life*: "Chapter: VII") "I
      > consider the fact that I came to know Fercher
      > von Steinwand as one of the most important
      > events of my youth; for his personality acted
      > like that of a sage who reveals his wisdom in
      > genuine poetry. . . . in the play of
      > countenance, in every gesture of Fercher, I saw
      > the essence of a soul which could only have
      > been formed in the time from the beginning of
      > the Christian evolution, while Greek paganism
      > was still influencing this evolution."
      >
      > It is evident that Steiner considered Fercher
      > to be a very significant spirit: meeting him
      > was "one of the most important events of my
      > youth"; I would assume that RS did not make
      > that statement lightly. And what RS says about
      > Fercher's previous incarnation is consistent
      > with the place and time of Mani's life.
      > Probably Steiner knew more than he was saying
      > explicitly here -- only hinting at something
      > very important?
      >
      > Elsewhere Steiner said something solemn and
      > momentous in connection with Fercher:
      > (*Mysteries of Light*: "Lecture III") "I once
      > read aloud here from this same platform a
      > thesis of Fercher von Steinwand, that German-
      > Austrian poet, who in the sixth decade of the
      > 19th century expressed his opinion about the
      > future of the German people. The lecture is
      > noteworthy because it was given before the
      > ruling King of Saxony and his ministers. In
      > this sixth decade — those who were there at the
      > time heard it — Fercher von Steinwand said that
      > his German people is predestined some time in
      > the future to play a role somewhat like that
      > which the Gypsies were playing then. It was a
      > deep glimpse into the evolution of humanity
      > which Fercher van Steinwand had."
      >
      > Apparently RS was endorsing Fercher's prophecy.
      > And Steiner was really "hitting on all
      > cylinders" at the time; he had a clear view of
      > the future. In the same lecture he made this
      > grave prophecy: "Let the kind of teaching that
      > prevails in our universities continue for
      > another three decades, let social questions be
      > treated as they are now for thirty years more,
      > and you will have a devastated Europe." He
      > said this in December, 1919; of course the
      > prophecy was fulfilled in less than thirty
      > years.
      >
      > And Fercher was not the only one to make this
      > prophecy. Bondarev wrote (in *The Crisis of
      > Civilisation*): "Rudolf Steiner warned that
      > the situation might come where the Germans are
      > driven out of their native land and scattered
      > over the entire earth. If we understand the
      > dark spirit that rules in our time, we can say
> [...]

    • Show all 4 messages in this topic