4640Soul-Calendar, Week 36 after Easter

    Dec 9, 2007

      Dr. Rudolf Steiner gave out the 'Soul-Calendar' in 1912, consisting of 52 meditative mantras to enable us to experience the 'astral' (soul) events occurring within us as well as in Nature during the year, starting with the first mantra every year on Easter Sunday.

      These mantras for each week are well known to many students of Steiner, but the original 'Calendar ' also had 12 Images of the Zodiac, to be meditated with each month (to sense the working of the 'solar' forces in the cosmos), plus a listing of the Moon's phases & position in the signs each night (for sensing the 'lunar' forces), and a list of dates of births and deaths of spiritual figures and dates of events to contemplate on specific days.

      Here's the Soul-Calendar restored to this complete form. I have added some details on the planets as well.

      The Sun, according to the Doctor, is under the influence of the constellation SAGITTARIUS from December 1st to January 4th in our era.
      A version of a new symbolic image of the ARCHER (from the original Soul-Calendar, done by an artist from Steiner's sketches & indications) , is attached to this e-mail.

       *  M A N T R A  # 3 6  *

      In meines Wesens Tiefen spricht

      Zur Offenbarung drangend

      Geheimnisvoll das Weltenwort:

      Erfulle deiner Arbeit Ziele

      Mit meinem Geisteslicht

      Zu opfern dich durch mich.

      'In my Being's Deeps speaks

      Urging me to Revelation

      Mysteriously the World-Word:

      'Fulfill your Work's Objectives

      With My Spirit-Light

      To offer yourself up through Me' '

      Interpretation: This week, the divine world speaks in the soul's depths in a way we can sense, saying that if our deeds will be filled with its Light, we can be its channels to others, offering ourselves through it.

        This is the last verse of the Autumn season.

      THE DAYS OF THE WEEK

      Sunday, December 9th. Moon Sagittarius. New Moon. Poet Milton born1608.

      Monday, December 10th. Moon Capricorn.  1520 Luther burns Papal Bull.

      Tuesday, December 11th. Moon Capricorn.  1843 Robert Koch born.

      Wednesday December 12th. Moon Capricorn. Albrecht von Haller died 1777.

      Thursday, December 13th. Moon Aquarius.  Friedrich Hebbel died 1863.

      Friday, December 14th. Moon Aquarius.  Tycho Brahe born 1546.

      Saturday, December 15th. Moon Pisces.  St. Ignatius.

      PLANETS IN THE NIGHT & MORNING SKY:

         MARS rises in the East before midnight, to the left of the stars of Orion the Hunter. It is bright yellowish-red, at its greatest brilliancy as it reaches opposition to the Sun over the next few months. During this time it will appear to stay in the same area of stars, as it does its 'retrograde loop': it will be back where it is right now, next to the stars at the foot of Castor (one of the Twins of Gemini) at the winter solstice, and there again at the vernal equinox. Mars will rise about an hour earlier each month, so it will be visible in the evening sky all winter. This coming full moon, next Sunday, will be very close to it.
         Just before sunrise, VENUS can be seen as a brilliant 'morning star' in the East, near the bright star Spica, the ear of corn held by the Virgin. Dimmer, yellowish SATURN is directly South, near the Lion's Heart, Regulus.