      To: steiner@yahoogroups.com
      From: ujm@...
      Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2007 05:26:33 +0000
      Subject: [steiner] Re: AntiMatters vol 1 no 2 released

      Starman sent me this email:
      Well, I don't have any objection in principle to hearing about Easternreligions, but this is a group for the study of the Western path givenout by Rudolf Steiner, and you just joined this group and didn'tintroduce yourself or anything, just broadcast this notice about amagazine based on Sri Aurobindo.   If you don't intend to participate in our group, but merely want touse it for ads of whatever kind, you will be removed. I don't joinHindu religion groups to propagandize about the Western path or ourmagazines.
      Here is my reply:
      1. Sorry for not introducing myself. I studied physics at the University of Göttingen, Germany, and at theIndian Institute of Science in Bangalore, India. I received The Mother's personal Darshan in 1972, during a two-year stint at the Sri Aurobindo International Centre of Education(SAICE) in Pondicherry, where I studied Indian philosophy andparticularly the works of Sri Aurobindo. In 1977 I settled inPondicherry and during the last six years have been teaching aphilosophically oriented course of contemporary physics at the SAICE. Ihave published numerous papers in academic journals of physics,philosophy of science, and consciousness studies, and have given talksat conferences on quantum physics and on Indian psychology. My primeareas of research are the foundations of contemporary physics, itsontological implications, the mystery of consciousness, the place ofphysics in the context of a larger reality, and the nature of thislarger reality. Recently I have become the managing editor of AntiMatters,an open-access online journal published by the SAICE, which addressesissues in science and the humanities from non-materialisticpe rspectives.
      2. It is not correct that AntiMatters is based on Sri Aurobindo. For one thing, there is no reference to Sri Aurobindo in the journal's Focus and Scope. For another, if you take the time to go through the Contents of its (so far) two issues, you will find that the majority of contributions are far from being based on Sri Aurobindo. The only requirement from contributors to the journal is a non-materialistic approach to an issue in science or in the humanities.
      3. The editors of AntiMatters are not a religious group, nor a Hindu group, nor a Hindu religious group. Considering Steiner's dissociation from the theosophical society, and considering that the headquarters of that society were based in Chennai (formerly Madras),  I can understand a certain antipathy to Indian traditions, even though theosophy is at best a mockery of Indian philosophy and spirituality.
      4. Both my cousin and her husband were teachers (now retired) in a Waldorf School in Germany, and are still very actively involved in several anthroposophical projects. (He actually spends a lot of time in Dornach.) I owe most of my knowledge of Steiner to them, and they keep telling me that there is a high regard for Sri Aurobindo in anthroposophical circles.
      5. I may not easily find time, and also may not be qualified, to actively engage in Steiner-related discussions, but one of my reasons for joining this group was to learn about Steiner-inspired research and to identify potential contributors to AntiMatters.
      Best regards to all - Ulrich Mohrhoff

      Your smile counts. The more smiles you share, the more we donate. Join in!
    • Show all 6 messages in this topic