4569Soul-Calendar, Week 31 after Easter

    Nov 4, 2007

      Dr. Rudolf Steiner gave out the 'Soul-Calendar' in 1912, consisting of 52 meditative mantras to enable us to experience the 'astral' (soul) events occurring within us as well as in Nature during the year, starting with the first mantra every year on Easter Sunday.

      These mantras for each week are well known to many students of Steiner, but the original 'Calendar ' also had 12 Images of the Zodiac, to be meditated with each month (to sense the working of the 'solar' forces in the cosmos), plus a listing of the Moon's phases & position in the signs each night (for sensing the 'lunar' forces), and a list of dates of births and deaths of spiritual figures and dates of events to contemplate on specific days.

      Here's the Soul-Calendar restored to this complete form. I have added some details on the planets as well.

      The Sun, according to the Doctor, is under the influence of the constellation LIBRA from Oct. 13th to Nov. 9th in our era.
      A version of a new symbolic image of the SCALES (from the original Soul-Calendar, done by an artist from Steiner's sketches & indications) , is attached to this e-mail.

       *  M A N T R A  # 3 1  *

      Das Licht aus Geistestiefen,

      Nach aussen strebt es sonnenhaft:

      Es wird zur Lebenswillenskraft

      Und leuchtet in der Sinne Dumpfheit,

      Um Kräfte zu entbinden,

      Die Schaffensmächte aus Seelentrieben

      In Menschenwerke reifen lassen.

      The Light out of Spirit-Deeps

      Strives outwards like the Sun:

      It turns into Life-Will-Force

      And shines into the Senses' Dullness,

      The Powers to unbind,

      That Shaping-Might out of Soul-Drives

      In Man's Work will let ripen.

           This week's mantra:

          The season of Autumn is the Michaelmas time, in which we are meant to develop Self (inner)-consciousne ss instead of the Nature (outer)-consciousne ss we had all Summer.

          Last week, we felt this growing thinking consciousness directing all our feelings from vagueness to certainty, as our summer soul-experience awakened fully.

          This week, the verse focuses our attention on the spiritual light of thinking and how it seeks to turn to the outer world, turning into will-forces for living and illuminating the otherwise dull sense-existence, and thus turning the blind urges of the soul into creatively-shaping forces.

      THE DAYS OF THE WEEK

      Sunday, November 5th. Moon Virgo. 1494 Hans Sachs born.

      Monday, November 6th. Moon Virgo. 1771 Senefelder, the inventor of Lithography, born.

      Tuesday, November 7th. Moon Libra. 1775 Goethe entered into Weimar.

      Wednesday November 8th. Moon Libra. 1674 Milton died.

      Thursday, November 9th. Moon Scorpio. New Moon. Day of Remembrance of 40 Martyrs, who because they refused to participate in a Feast to pagan gods, were murdered by the Langobards.

      Friday, November 10th. Moon Scorpio. 1483 Luther born. 1759 Schiller born.

      Saturday, November 11th. Moon Sagittarius.  St. Martin's Day.

      PLANETS IN THE NIGHT & MORNING SKY:

        Bright JUPITER is in the southwest at sunset.
         The planet MARS rises in the East before midnight, to the left of the stars of Orion the Hunter. It is bright yellowish-red, at its greatest brilliancy as it reaches opposition to the Sun over the next few months. During this time it will appear to stay in the same area of stars, as it does its 'retrograde loop': it will be back where it is right now, next to the stars at the foot of Castor (one of the Twins of Gemini) at the winter solstice, and there again at the vernal equinox. Mars will rise about an hour earlier each month, so it will be visible in the evening sky all winter.
         Just before sunrise, VENUS can be seen as a brilliant 'morning star' in the East; dimmer, yellowish SATURN is to the right of it. Both are beneath the Lion's Heart, Regulus. The waning moon may be seen close to both before sunrise on Monday and Tuesday mornings.