4568Soul-Calendar, Week 30 after Easter

    Oct 28, 2007

      Dr. Rudolf Steiner gave out the 'Soul-Calendar' in 1912, consisting of 52 meditative mantras to enable us to experience the 'astral' (soul) events occurring within us as well as in Nature during the year, starting with the first mantra every year on Easter Sunday.

      These mantras for each week are well known to many students of Steiner, but the original 'Calendar ' also had 12 Images of the Zodiac, to be meditated with each month (to sense the working of the 'solar' forces in the cosmos), plus a listing of the Moon's phases & position in the signs each night (for sensing the 'lunar' forces), and a list of dates of births and deaths of spiritual figures and dates of events to contemplate on specific days.

      Here's the Soul-Calendar restored to this complete form. I have added some details on the planets as well.

      The Sun, according to the Doctor, is under the influence of the constellation LIBRA from Oct. 13th to Nov. 9th in our era.
      A version of a new symbolic image of the SCALES (from the original Soul-Calendar, done by an artist from Steiner's sketches & indications) , is attached to this e-mail.

      *  M A N T R A  # 3 0  *

       Es spriessen mir im Seelensonnenlicht

      Des Denkens reife Früchte

      In Selbstbewusstseins Sicherheit

      Verwandelt alles Fühlen sich.

      Empfinden kann ich freudevoll

      Des Herbstes Geisterwachen:

      Der Winter wird in mir

      Den Seelensommer wecken.

      There sprouts in Soul-Sun-Light

      The ripening Fruits of Thinking

      Into Self-Consciousness' certainty

      Transforming all Feelings.

      I can perceive joyously

      The Autumn's Spirit-Watch:

      The Winter becomes in me

      The Soul-Summer's awakening.

           This week's mantra:

          The season of Autumn is the Michaelmas time, in which we are meant to develop Self (inner)-consciousness instead of the Nature (outer)-consciousness we had all Summer. Last week, we felt a growing power of Thinking as the gift of our Summer experience, making sense out of all that seemed senseless, giving us a feeling of a rest and an expectation of good in the coming Winter. This week, we feel this growing thinking consciousness directing all our feelings from vagueness to certainty, as our summer soul-experience awakens fully.

      Sunday, October 28th. Moon Gemini. Simeon and Judas (relatives of Jesus). 1704 John Locke died. 1466 Erasmus of Rotterdam born.

      Monday, October 29th. Moon Cancer.   Narcissus.

      Tuesday, October 30th. Moon Cancer. Claudius.

      Wednesday October 31st. Moon Cancer. Last Quarter. Wolfgang.

      Thursday, November 1st. Moon Leo. Catholic Festival of All Hallows ((became since the seventh century celebrated, as an imitation of the worship that was used in the Pantheon in Rome for all the heathen Gods. The Pantheon was given to Pope Boniface IV by Caesar Photius and consecrated to all the Holies.)

      Friday, November 2nd. Moon Leo. Festival of All Souls (since 1020 as a Catholic Festival established).

      Saturday, November 3rd. Moon Virgo. Malachi (the Prophet).

        Bright JUPITER is in the southwest at sunset, above brilliant red Antares, the Heart of the Scorpion. Both will vanish into the setting sun in a week or two.
         The planet MARS rises in the East before midnight, to the left of the stars of Orion the Hunter. It is bright yellowish-red, at its greatest brilliancy as it reaches opposition to the Sun over the next few months. During this time it will appear to stay in the same area of stars, as it does its 'retrograde loop': it will be back where it is right now, next to the stars at the foot of Castor (one of the Twins of Gemini) at the winter solstice, and there again at the vernal equinox. Mars will rise about an hour earlier each month, so it will be visible in the evening sky all winter.
          The moon, past full, will be seen close to Mars Sunday and Monday nights.
         Just before sunrise, VENUS can be seen as a brilliant 'morning star' in the East; dimmer, yellowish SATURN is to the right of it. Both are beneath the Lion's Heart, Regulus.