4309RE: [steiner] Newton

  • My2Cents
    Apr 26, 2007
      I'm very glad to see this - thank you, Mathew! This is an excellent summation of physics as I recall from my college years, and I� earned the wrath of my instructor by asking what was so surprising about an apple falling to the ground from a height? We were already aware of the weightlessness in outer space, but thankfully for our instructor that wasn't a factor in this course and there was certainly nothing pertaining to Steiner's truths! Steiner had many things to say about Newton's "theorem," as I recall, and with excellent cause! I hope you write more about "science," Matthew, since it plays an enormous part in my career even though I've been able to "see around the edges," hopefully sufficiently!

      Blessings,

      My2Cents

      --- On Thu 04/26, Mathew Morrell < tma4cbt@... > wrote:�

      It should be fairly easy to understand Steiner's innate aversion to
      the Conservation of Energy Theorem, and why he preached against it in
      his lectures. The theorem assumes that we live in a "closed"
      universe that is totally physical, where there's no such thing as an
      isolated force; to the contrary, Newton says, all forces occur in
      pairs.

      Instead of an "open" universe penetrated by subtle etheric energy,
      Newton presents us with a closed, mechanical world, ruled by opposing
      powers. His famous mantra is "for every action there is an equal,
      but opposite, reaction." Energy is neither created nor destroyed,
      but is forever changing states as it encounters equal or opposite
      forces.

      Here is the strange part. An unavoidable, logical outcome of
      Newtonian physics is that with each physical interaction there's a
      minute, irreversible, change in energy, from a higher to a lower
      state. This means the universe is slowly losing complexity; it is
      slowly returning to its primal condition. Eventually,
      Newton says in his law of entropy, the universe will simply "run
      down" like a used-up battery exhausted of energy.

      And yet, as far as practicality goes, Newton's laws of motion are
      indispensable for the engineer or anyone involved in construction
      projects requiring mathematical data. Or, even if you're building an
      outhouse at your cabin in the woods, you might need to know a few
      simple formulas derived by Newton. In that case, it doesn't matter
      if we're living in a closed or open universe. Nor does it matter if
      the universe is "running down." All you need is some place to pinch
      a loaf.

      No banners. No pop-ups. No kidding.