4302Re: Western tradition of reincarnation?

    Apr 20 2:05 PM

      I was hoping that somebody would respond to the Biblical passages that I quoted concerning reincarnation.  I suppose no one read it.

      The passage was from Luke and is the quintessential passage that some theologians use to prove their belief that reincarnation does not exist in Christian theology.  You'll need to be familiar with these specific passages if you ever get into a debate on this subject.  The deniers of reincarnation will undoubtedly quote it, specifically Luke 16:25, in their attempt to disprove your argument for reincarnation.

      25) "But Abraham replied, 'Son, remember that in your lifetime you received your good things, while Lazarus received bad things, but now he is comforted here and you are in agony. 26) And besides all this, between us and you a great chasm has been fixed, so that those who want to go from here to you cannot, nor can anyone cross over from there to us.'

      If you didn't read the above passage carefully, you'll get confused.  Your mind will blur the context of the phrase and you'll finish the passage thinking, erroneously, that the "great chasm" exists between the spirit world and the material world.  Yet the passage doesn't say anything of that sort.

      The "great chasm" exists between heaven and hell, between where Lazarus exists in heaven and where "the rich man" is speaking to Abraham---from hell.  Lazarus never says "the great" chasm exists between the spirit world and the elemental Natural World, which is the realm of The Father.

      The chasm exists in the heart.  No chasm can separate the Natural World from the Spirit because the World itself is a manifestation of the spiritual kingdoms; it is a kind of mystical cross road where good and evil play equal parts.

      Indeed, once he realizes this, the "rich man" is not comforted.  In torment, he begs Abraham to send Lazarus to the father's house.  "Let him warn them, so that they will not also come to this place of torment." [Luke 16:29]

      Abraham denies the request, but not on the grounds that reincarnation is impossible.  Abraham denies returning Lazarus to "the father's house" because he doubts that Lazarus' direct intervention will do any good in saving "the rich man's" brothers.  Instead, Abraham replied: "They have Moses and the Prophets; let them listen to them."

      > There are several references to reincarnation in the New Testament.
      > Starman named a couple. Here is another. Luke 16:20-31.
      >
      > 20) At his gate was laid a beggar named Lazarus, covered with sores
      > 21) and longing to eat what fell from the rich man's table. Even the
      > dogs came and licked his sores.
      >
      > 22) "The time came when the beggar died and the angels carried him to
      > Abraham's side. The rich man also died and was buried. 23In hell,[a]
      > where he was in torment, he looked up and saw Abraham far away, with
      > Lazarus by his side. 24So he called to him, 'Father Abraham, have
      > pity on me and send Lazarus to dip the tip of his finger in water and
      > cool my tongue, because I am in agony in this fire.'
      >
      > 25) "But Abraham replied, 'Son, remember that in your lifetime you
      > received your good things, while Lazarus received bad things, but now
      > he is comforted here and you are in agony. 26) And besides all this,
      > between us and you a great chasm has been fixed, so that those who
      > want to go from here to you cannot, nor can anyone cross over from
      > there to us.'
      >
      > 27) "He answered, 'Then I beg you, father, send Lazarus to my
      > father's house, 28) for I have five brothers. Let him warn them, so
      > that they will not also come to this place of torment.'
      >
      > 29) "Abraham replied, 'They have Moses and the Prophets; let them
      > listen to them.'
      >
      > 30) " 'No, father Abraham,' he said, 'but if someone from the dead
      > goes to them, they will repent.'
      >
      > 31) "He said to him, 'If they do not listen to Moses and the
      > Prophets, they will not be convinced even if someone rises from the
      > dead.' "

    • Show all 12 messages in this topic