407812 Holy Nights Study-2

    Dec 27, 2006
      In the second lecture, Dr. Steiner focuses once more on the opening words
      of the Gospel of St. John about the Word becoming flesh. He then repeats his
      basic anthroposophic teaching of Man consisting of ego, astral body, etheric
      body and physical body, and how we have passed through 3 previous worlds,
      Saturn, Sun and Moon, in which we developed the three lower bodies, the ego
      being added only in this Earth phase.
      He then shows how the same 3 worlds he calls Saturn, Sun and Moon, when
      experienced in the akashic records, are the same experiences John describes
      by saying at first was the Word (the created basis of our physical bodies in
      the Saturn stage), then this became Life (the etheric body that makes the
      physical one alive, which was added in the second phase, the Old Sun), and
      then Light (Man experiences light through his astral body, which we gained
      in the third stage, the Old Moon).
      So Steiner shows how the first words of the Gospel repeat the story of
      our development through the three lower phases which the present-day
      animals, plants and minerals are still going through. We have now reached
      the point where we can utter speech, in other words the Word can manifest
      itself in us, which means the creative power of God realizing itself.

      >From: "Durward Starman" <DrStarman@...>
      >To: steiner@yahoogroups.com
      >Subject: [steiner] 12 Holy Nights Study-1
      >Date: Mon, 25 Dec 2006 18:28:07 -0500
      >
      >******* How about a little background for the study of anthroposophy in
      >general and the Gospel of St. John lectures in particular? Although it's
      >quite possible that what I have to say here may offend some people by being
      >too blunt, in which case I apologize in advance.
      >
      > We modern people live in a scientific, technical civilization which,
      >however, only goes back a few hundred years. People before that time
      >thought
      >quite differently, and appear to be more different the further back one
      >goes
      >in time. In fact, many people automatically conclude that people in ancient
      >times were just plain stupid, and human beings have only gotten clever in
      >the past few centuries. Those ancient times were those in which all our
      >religions originated: therefore, either religions were all foolishness to
      >the modern mind, or at best were ignorant gropings for knowledge which we
      >modern people can get more easily and exactly. For the modern mind, it's
      >quite natural to seek to develop a comprehensive view of the world from the
      >speculations of our intellect. This is philosophy.
      >
      > But in the past century or two, the modern mind has largely lost its
      >faith in its ability to fashion a complete, profound philosophy of the
      >world
      >and man from out of the modern intellect. Modern man feels often that he
      >has
      >lost his way. So, in the midst of scientific achievements which as far as
      >we
      >know have no historic parallel, we have the spectacle of modern Western man
      >returning to primitive superstitions and religions in large numbers,
      >whether
      >it is the attempt to re-create the 'paganism ' which Christianity replaced
      >or to look to Eastern religions for the inspiration modern man no longer
      >feels from his Western religion.
      >
      > The modern scientific man rejects religion but cannot seem to create
      >his
      >own which will be truly satisfying and answer all the mind's questions; the
      >religious man rejects science as being limited and of no use in answering
      >the deepest questions about the being of man, his origin and destiny.
      >
      > Many modern thinkers (for instance, C.S. Lewis) regard this dualism of
      >science and religion as the only two possible choices. But there have been
      >others who have recognized a third choice with elements of each ----
      >occultism, a scientific development of the mind which leads beyond the
      >present limits of science to the point where a man becomes able to know the
      >spiritual beings described in ancient religions through knowledge rather
      >than blind faith.
      >
      > In the 1800s there was a particularly strong movement of occultism
> [...]

      Dave vs. Carl: The Insignificant Championship Series. �Who will win?
      http://clk.atdmt.com/MSN/go/msnnkwsp0070000001msn/direct/01/?href=http://davevscarl.spaces.live.com/?icid=T001MSN38C07001
    • Show all 10 messages in this topic