406Re: [steiner] To Love

  • Sarah Cherry
    Jan 2, 2001
      [My e-mail was down last night, and from the posts this morning, I
      see my comments plagiarize Morgan a bit :-). I, too, have been
      disappointed that we haven't had more discussion. I hope the
      discussion will continue well into the new year and specifically so
      we can know one another more deeply. I have also felt pressed to
      "keep up" with the reading and not had so much time to comment, but I
      feel reading in unison, so to speak, was beneficial.]

      At 11:41 AM -0500 1/1/01, starmann77@... wrote:
      <snip>
      >that the Ego is the immortal spirit in Man and the force that raises
      >us up ever higher, transforming the astral, etheric and physical bodies into
      >Manas, Budhi and Atman. Wasn't anyone surprised?

      To tell you the truth, I have become so accustomed to this concept in
      Steiner's work, that I am immune to being in awe by this
      revaluation. (so much for child-like wonder, huh? :-) However, I am
      in awe of the way he described the relationship of man's development
      to our understanding of architecture. "In a Gothic church you can see
      that what is expressed in its form cannot possible be thought of or
      felt without the presence of the devotional congregation.<snip> If
      the devotional congregation were not within, and the hands were not
      placed together in the form of the arch, the whole would be
      incomplete." What a picture of ego-beings as co-creators!

      <long snip>

      >Then it
      >seems to me that a mark of real love is that each will be made MORE able to
      >be their independent Self in the relationship, not less: each will strengthen
      >& support the other's individuality, not weaken it or tear it down. There's
      >how to recognize the real thing, then.

      From my southern protestant childhood.... Ahmen!

      Along that line, one of my favorite quotes;

      "It is more noble to give yourself completely to one individual than
      to labor diligently for the salvation of the masses." Dag
      Hammarskjold

      Without a strong "I", there's nothing to give, and you won't have a
      clue as to what Hammarskjold is talking about!

      Sarah
    • Show all 8 messages in this topic