3827RE: [steiner] C & E = Reality?/ 12 Philosophic Points of View Pt. 1

    Sep 1, 2006
      *******Dr. Steiner introduced something very important almost a century ago,
      which some here may have already been exposed to and which would be an
      interesting topic to discuss. He gave a series of lectures called Human and
      Cosmic Thought (older title, Microcosmic and Macrocosmic Thought). In it he
      says that there is no one philosophical point of view which is objectively
      right for everyone but rather that different personality types lean towards
      one or another depending on their temperament. He identifies 12 and connects
      them with the signs of the zodiac (or the constellations, I'm not clear
      about which yet).

      He begins with, as his primary polarity of 2 opposite points of view,
      what can be called 'materialism' and its opposite which he names 'spiritism'
      or it could be translated 'spiritualism', not meaning doing stuff with
      mediums but rather the belief that only the inner world of our (spiritual)
      selves is real. This is what underlies every You-create-your-own-reality
      philosophy. Personalities who incline to this philosophy don't relate to the
      material world and so want to interpret it as merely a form of the spiritual
      --- which of course in a sense it is. So it's not that their philosophy is
      "wrong" but just one-sided. After all, all that may be true but what good
      does that do when you need to deal with anything material?

      I remember many years ago I gave a lecture and afterwards a lady and her
      man friend who were very interested in it gave me a ride to my hotel. The
      man was really eloquent in speaking about the spirit and contact with the
      divine within, and we were soaring into rhapsodies of discourse as the car
      stopped at a gas station for gas. Then the lady said she couldn't get the
      gas cap off and could one of us help. Well, we stood there for 10 minutes
      stupidly pawing at the locked gas cap trying to get it off so she could get
      gas and speculating Well, maybe it works this way and maybe that way. I had
      to laugh at our being in love with our own voices in our puffed-up
      conversation when we weren't worth a darn in the world of material things.
      That's the problem with the one-sidedness of Spiritism or Spiritualism:
      useless in actually dealing with the material, egotism often drives these
      adherents into denying it exists or imagining they can deal with it by mere
      wishes alone. (As a paralegal I've done bankruptcies for many long-time
      adherents of this philosophy and gotten them out of tax troubles--- and of
      course they are utterly helpless with anything technical."So heavenly minded
      you're no earthly good", as Johnny Cash sang of some of his born-again
      Christian friends.)

      On the opposite extreme, the materialist---the mechanic, technician,
      scientist---- is great with unlocking gas caps, but they believe everything
      'spiritual' (your inner consciousness, thoughts and feelings) is just
      produced by the material. It's all just electricity in the brain. People,
      animals, plants, all simply ARE their bodies and ONLY their bodies. This
      one-sidedness is what makes materialism so destructive. It's right in its
      own sphere, as "spiritism" is in its, but neither account for all reality.
      Stretching them to do so is what distorts them.

    • Show all 5 messages in this topic