3726Re: Designers behind evolution

    May 8, 2006

      > I just hope that the willing of humans doesn't have too much influence over
      > our evolution, because both males and females are currently willing changes
      > to their anatomy that will have humans looking very funny if it all actually
      > started changing - we will start looking like giraffs but with different
      > parts super-sized.

      The 'red light district' of the Internet bears that statement out.   Hubba hubba.

      > What's the difference between desiring something to change and willing the
      > change into existence? Is it a different part of our souls that do willing
      > instead of desiring? Do you think the beings who design bodies respond to
      > desires expressed or only to willing by plants, animals and humans?
      >
      > Evert

      Strangely enough, the Wikepedia online encyclodpedia doesn't mention "the will" as an intricle element of Lamarckian evolution.  However Wikepedia doesn provide a descent background on the subject.

      Lamarck developed two laws:

      1. In every animal which has not passed the limit of its development, a more frequent and continuous use of any organ gradually strengthens, develops and enlarges that organ, and gives it a power proportional to the length of time it has been so used; while the permanent disuse of any organ imperceptibly weakens and deteriorates it, and progressively diminishes its functional capacity, until it finally disappears.
      2. All the acquisitions or losses wrought by nature on individuals, through the influence of the environment in which their race has long been placed, and hence through the influence of the predominant use or permanent disuse of any organ; all these are preserved by reproduction to the new individuals which arise, provided that the acquired modifications are common to both sexes, or at least to the individuals which produce the young.

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lamarck

    • Show all 9 messages in this topic