3710Calendar of the Soul, Week 3 after Easter

    Apr 30 9:01 AM
        The "Calendar of the Soul"

        Rudolf Steiner gave out the 'Soul-Calendar' in 1912, consisting of 52 meditative mantras to enable us to experience the 'astral' (soul) events occurring within us and in Nature during the year, starting with the first mantra every year on Easter Sunday.

         These mantras for each week are well known to many students of Steiner, but the original "Calendar " also had 12 Images of the Zodiac, to be meditated with each month (to sense the working of the 'solar' forces in the cosmos), plus a listing of the Moon's phases & position in the signs each night (for sensing the 'lunar' forces), and a list of dates of births and deaths of spiritual figures and dates of events to contemplate on specific days. Here's the Soul-Calendar restored to its complete form.

         The Sun, according to the Doctor, is under the influence of the constellation TAURUS from May 1st through June 15th in our era. Here's a version of the symbolic image of the BULL in the original Soul-Calendar, done from Steiner's sketches & indications:

      This week's mantra.

      * M A N T R A # 3 *
      Es spricht zum Weltenall,
      Sich Selbst vergessend
      Und seines Urstands eingedenk,
      Des Menschen wachsend Ich:
      In dir, befreiend nich,
      Aus meiner Eigenheiten Fessel,
      Ergründ ich mein echtes Wesen.

      There speaks to the World-All,
      Of Self forgetful
      And of its Primal state one in thinking,
      Man's waxing "I":
      'In you, freeing me
      From my Selfhood's chains,
      I penetrate to my true Essence'.

      An interpretation:
        The spring is the time when we change from an inner "self-consciousness" to outer "nature-consciousness". Verse 1 (we always start at Easter) spoke of how the Sun and the Growth in the outer world of Nature spoke to our senses and joined us to the Spirit that calls forth this new life--- verse 2 of how our thinking loses its separated existence by joining with the senses, the plants springing forth and so on.

         This week continues the theme of 'forgetting oneself': the first 4 lines point to a distinction, so to speak, between self and Self, or the little ego and the True Self: the true "I" within us (meaning the Primal Individuality we have within) now seeks to 'speak' to the World-All, forgetful of the everyday 'self'. In using these first 4 lines one should feel these two 'selves' distinctly different--- should feel this deep True Self is now connecting with the World, forgetful of the everyday "self."

         In doing so, that true Primal Self 'speaks' the last 3 lines to the World: one should recite these with the real feeling of speaking them to the World-All. "In you, freeing me from my selfhood's chains (meaning the little 'self'), I penetrate ('dig down deep into') my True Essence" (Being, Self---I use 'essence' because the German word 'Wesen' is the source of it).

                                                  **********************************

      Sunday, April 30th.  Moon Gemini.  Seneca assassinated 65 A.D. Gauss (the mathematician) born 1777.

      Monday, May 1st. Moon Cancer.
      Walpurgis.

      Tuesday, May 2nd. Moon Cancer.
      Leonardo da Vinci died 1519. Novalis born 1772.

      Wednesday, May 3rd. Moon Leo.
      Empress Helena found the Cross of Christ in Jerusalem 326 A.D.

      Thursday, May 4th. Moon Leo.
      Monica, mother of Augustine dies 387 A.D.

      Friday, May 5th. Moon Leo. First Quarter.
      Columbus discovers America 1492.

      Saturday, May 6th. Moon Virgo.
      John, writer of the Gospel and the Apocalypse.