3141Re: [steiner] Embalming, Bailey ETC

    Apr 15, 2005

      Here is what Alice Bailey says about cremation and embalming:
      “Occultly speaking, cremation is needed for two main reasons. It hastens the release of the subtle vehicles (still enshrouding the soul) from the etheric body, thus bringing about the release in a few hours instead of a few days; it also is a much needed means for bringing about the purification of the astral plane and for arresting the ‘downward moving’ tendency of desire which so greatly handicaps the incarnating soul. It can find no point of focus, because essentially fire repels the form-making aspect of desire and is a major expression of divinity with which the astral plane has no true relation, being created entirely by the human soul and not by the divine soul…”

      *******In my opinion, this is gibberish.

        .... A great deal of nonsense has been told in current theosophical literature about the time
      equation in relation to the sequential destruction of the subtle bodies. It should be stated, however, that the moment that true death is scientifically established, and it has been ascertained that no spark of life remains in the physical body, cremation is then possible. This complete or true death eventuates when the thread of consciousness and the thread of life are completely withdrawn from the head and the heart. At the same time reverence and an unhurried attitude have their rightful place in the process. The family of the dead person need a few hours in which to adjust themselves to the fact of the imminent disappearance of the outer and usually loved form; due care must also be given to the formalities required by the state or the municipality. This time element has reference mainly to those who are left behind, to the living and not to the dead. The claim that the etheric body must not be rushed into the cremating flames, and the belief that it must be left to drift around for a stated period of several days, have also no true basis at all. There is no etheric need for delay. When the inner man withdraws from his physical vehicle he withdraws simultaneously from the etheric body. It is true that the etheric body is apt to linger for a long time on the ‘field of emanation’ when the physical body is interred, and it will frequently persist until complete disintegration of the dense body has taken place....

      *******Well, I've heard a variety of opinions expressed through the years about Alice Bailey and the worthwhileness (or lack thereof) of her writings, but I'd have to say this example shows, in my opinion, that she had no clue about anything real --- rather like Leadbeater and so many other post-Blavatsky Theosophists, where Steiner did.

          SHE is the one writing "nonsense" in this case. The elementals or etheric forces remain attached to the physical for several days, I am sure from experience. This shows she did not even understand the ethers, much less anything higher. Many Theospophists were just as bad, merely speculating with the intellect on things they read in Blavatsky, without any understanding of the source of such knowledge or, even worse, a false pretense at direct knowledge themselves, like Heindel or other fakers claiming to contact 'the Brothers'. The proof is in the fruits, since real contact always has a will-element and leads to productive work, as anthroposophy demonstrates in the schools, farms, arts, etc.

         I'm sure Bailey must have some good things in her work but in this she shows no higher knowledge at all, merely speculative logic. In short, here she becomes a tool of Ahriman. There's nothing wrong with cutting up or cremating the body right away? We should only wait a few hours for the sensibilities of the family? Rubbish. Small wonder the anti-Christian Theosophists could not appreciate the significance of the 3 days between Christ's death and resurrection.