2788Calendar of the Soul, Week 19 after Easter

    Aug 15, 2004
      The "Calendar of the Soul"

        Rudolf Steiner gave out the 'Soul-Calendar' in 1912, 52 meditative mantras to enable us to experience the 'astral' (soul) events occurring within us and in Nature during the year, starting with the first mantra on Easter Sunday.
         These mantras for each week are well known to many students of Steiner, but the original "Calendar " also had 12 Images of the Zodiac, to be meditated with each month to sense the working of the 'solar' forces in the cosmos, plus a listing of the Moon's phases & position in the signs each night for sensing the 'lunar' forces, and a list of dates of births and deaths of spiritual figures and dates of events on specific days.

         The Sun, according to the Doctor, is under the influence of the constellation LEO from August 4th to Sept. 7th in our era. Here's a version of the symbolic image of the LION in the original Soul-Calendar, done from Steiner's sketches & indications:

      This week's mantra.
          For those not familiar with the use of mantras: The anthroposophic path uses symbolic images like the above ("Imaginations") to awaken spiritual sight and mantras ("Inspirations") to begin spiritual hearing. The meaning of the words of a mantra at first sight is not important, but rather reciting it and entering with deeper soul-forces into its inner experience. Also, these mantras were created in the German language and have their rhythms in that, so learning an English version is just a step to using the original; I've kept close to it in translating, so anyone can easily go from English to German.

      *  M A N T R A  # 1 9 *
      Geheimnisvoll das Neu-Empfang'ne
      Mit der Erinnerung zu umschliessen,
      Sie meines Strebens weitrer Sinn:
      Es soll starkend Eigenkräfte
      In meinem Innern wecken
      Und werdend mich mir selber geben.

      Mysteriously the newly-received
      With the Memory to enclose,
      Be my Striving's wider Sense:
      It will strengthen Self-forces
      In my Inner awaken
      And becoming me my self give.

      *******The summer is when we are meant to lose ourselves in the play of light and warmth;  then, from out of the Spirit revealed in the outer world, we find our "selves" again in the World-Self.
         This week that process is at the point where we have received this 'world self' in the past month, we have taken in to the soul's depths --- and now we seek to enclose this Summer-Event within memory.
          In the future, the world's very essence will become something permanently part of us, giving us a new 'self' as it evolves us further

                                          **********************************

      Sunday, August 15th.  Moon Leo. New Moon. Mary's Ascension to Heaven.

      Monday, August 16th. Moon Virgo. 1743 the Chemist Lavoisier born.

      Tuesday, August 17th. Moon Virgo.  Augusta.

      Wednesday, August 18th. Moon Libra.  Joachim (Father of Maria).

      Thursday, August 19th. Moon Libra.  1662 Blaise Pascal died.

      Friday, August 20th. Moon Libra. 1854 the Philosopher Schelling died.

      Saturday, August 21st. Moon Scorpio.
      Sigismund.
      .

      Dr. Starman