2709Soul-Calendar, Week 4 after Easter

    May 2, 2004

      The "Calendar of the Soul"

        Rudolf Steiner gave out the 'Soul-Calendar' in 1912, 52 meditative mantras to enable us to experience the 'astral' (soul) events occurring within us and in Nature during the year, starting with the first mantra on Easter Sunday.
         These mantras for each week are well known to many students of Steiner, but the original "Calendar " also had 12 Images of the Zodiac, to be meditated with each month, to sense the working of the 'solar' forces in the cosmos, plus a listing of the Moon's phases & position in the signs each night, for sensing the 'lunar' forces, and a list of people and events connected with specific days.  Here's the Soul-Calendar restored to its complete form.

         The Sun, according to the Doctor, is under the influence of the constellation TAURUS from May 1st to June 15th  in our era. Here's a version of the symbolic image of the BULL done from Steiner's sketches & indications:

      This week's mantra.
          For those not familiar with the use of mantras: The anthroposophic path uses symbolic images like the above ("Imaginations") to awaken spiritual sight and mantras ("Inspirations") to begin spiritual hearing. The meaning of the words of a mantra at first sight is not important, but rather reciting it and entering with deeper soul-forces into its inner experience. Also, these mantras were created in the German language and have their rhythms in that, so learning an English version is just a step to using the original; I've kept close to it in translating, so anyone can easily go from English to German.

      * M A N T R A # 4 *
      Ich fühle Wesen meines Wesens:
      So spricht Empfindung,
      Die in der sonnerhellten Welt
      Mit Lichtesfluten sich vereint;
      Sie will dem Denken
      Zur Klarheit Wärme schenken
      Und Mensch und Welt
      In Einheit fest verbinden.

      "I feel the essence of my essence":
      So speaks Sensation,
      That in the sun-illumined World
      With flooding light becomes one;
      It will join warmth
      To Thinking's Clarity,
      And Man and World
      In oneness bind fast together.

      Our thinking is drawn out by our senses, to find our connection to the cosmos. The returning light makes us feel our essence is similar to it, and as we join our cold thinking to the warm reality of the senses, we re-unite it with the world.

                                          **********************************

      Sunday, May 2nd.  Moon Libra. Leonardo da Vinci died 1519. Novalis born 1772.

      Monday, May 3rd. Moon Scorpio. Empress Helena found the Cross of Christ in Jerusalem 326 A.D.

      Tuesday, May 4th. Moon Scorpio. Full Moon. Monica, mother of Augustine dies 387 A.D.

      Wednesday, May 5th. Moon Sagittarius. Columbus discovers America 1492.

      Thursday, May 6th. Moon Sagittarius.  John, writer of the Gospel and the Apocalypse.

      Friday, May 7th. Moon Capricorn.  Gottfried.

      Saturday, May 8th. Moon Capricorn.
      . The Prophet Micah. H.P. Blavatsky died 1891.

        Planets :  Brilliant Venus is visible in the West each night above the setting sun, being now an "evening star", as is much dimmer, reddish Mars close above and to the left of it.  A little further up and to the left of Mars is yellowish Saturn. All three are visible in the West for an hour or two after sunset on, beneath the two stars Castor and Pollux of the constellation Gemini. Further eastward, Jupiter is the brilliant white "star" that can be seen high in the South at sunset and for several hours afterwards, setting in the West shortly before midnight.

      Dr. Starman

      www.DrStarman.net
    • Show all 7 messages in this topic