2028Calendar of the Soul, Week 27 after Easter

    Oct 19, 2003
      The "Calendar of the Soul"

         Rudolf Steiner gave out the 'Soul-Calendar' in 1912, 52 meditative mantras to enable us to experience the 'astral' (soul) events occurring within us and in Nature during the year, starting at Easter. These are well known to students of Steiner, but the original "Calendar " also had 12 Images of the Zodiac, to be meditated with each month to sense the working of the 'solar' forces in the cosmos in the day--- a listing of the Moon's phases & position in the signs each night for sensing the 'lunar' forces--- and a list of saints and other spiritual figures connected with specific days.
      Here's the Soul-Calendar' restored to its complete form for your use. First, this week's mantra:

      *  M A N T R A  # 2 7  *

      In meines Wesens Tiefen dringen:
      Erregt ein ahnungsvolles Sehnen,
      Dass ich mich selbstbetrachtend finde,
      Als Sommersonnengabe, die als Keim
      In Herbstesstimmung wärmend lebt
      Als meiner Seele Kräftetriebe.

      In my essence's deeps is a force:
      It excites a premonition-filled yearning
      That I in my self-contemplation find
      As Summer-Sun's gift, which as a seed
      In Autumn's approach warming lives
      As my Soul's Power-Drive.

      This week's mantram:
         The season of Autumn is the Michaelmas time, in which we are meant to develop Self (inner)-consciousness instead of the Nature (outer)-consciousness we have in Summer. Two weeks ago this developing self-consciousness placed us in a state of being completely alone; last week this developing ego-consciousness, the gift of the soul's experience in Summer, we carried into our own Wills & this gave backbone to the drives of our human spirits so that they had a stamp of Self-feeling--- this is the solar essence we carry within us into the 'night-time' of the year.
         This week's verse describes a feeling of simply finding a driving force present in our soul depths as a result of this; when I look within, I find a strong yearning for what I sense must now begin to happen in the future; a powerful force lives in the soul's drives which we must sense as a seed of future development as we press on into the Autumn.

                                  **********************************
          The Sun, according to the Doctor, is under the influence of the constellation LIBRA from Oct. 13th to Nov. 9th in our era. A symbolic image of the SCALES done by an artist from Steiner's sketches & indications is inserted below.

      Sunday, October 19th. Moon Leo. Ptolemäus.

      Monday,
      October 20th. Moon Leo.  Arthur.

      Tuesday,
      October 21st. Moon Virgo. Ursula (dignitary with 11,000 maidens imprisoned and executed by the Huns).

      Wednesday,
      October 22nd. Moon Virgo.  1811 Franz Liszt born.

      Thursday,  October 23rd. Moon Libra. Ignatius.

      Friday,   October 24th. Moon Libra. Raphael (the Archangel).

      Saturday,  October 25th. Moon Scorpio. New Moon. 1806 Max Stirner born.

        P.S.  Brilliant yellowish Mars, still bright in its retrograde 'loop', dominates the night sky, visible in the Southwest after sunset, moving to directly south before midnight.
         The Moon can also be seen near the planet Jupiter very late Tuesday night, rising a few hours after midnight.

      The verse for the Southern Hemisphere:

         In the Southern Hemisphere, Sunday Oct. 12th was the first Sunday following the first Full Moon after the spring equinox, so that was the Southern Hemisphere 'Easter' and we began with mantra #1 then. This week then would be mantra #2:

      * M A N T R A #  2 *
      Ins Aussre des Sinnesalls
      Verliert Gedankenmacht ihr Eigensein;
      Es finden Geisteswelten
      Den Menschensprossen wieder,
      Der seinen Keim in ihnen,
      Doch seine Seelenfrucht
      In sich muss finden.

      In outer World of the Senses
      Thinking's might loses its Self-existence;
      The Spiritual Worlds find
      The offspring of Man again,
      Whose seed is in them
      But who must find its Soul-Fruit,
      Within itself.

          The dark time of Winter ends, the Sun returns. We are thus drawn out by
      our senses, to find our connection to the cosmos through them. Our thinking
      thus loses its character of closing itself off within itself--- and this is
      the spiritual world itself finding itself through us.