1838Calendar of the Soul, Week 21

    Sep 7, 2003

      The "Calendar of the Soul"

      Rudolf Steiner gave out the 'Soul-Calendar' in 1912, 52 meditative mantras to enable us to experience the 'astral' (soul) events occurring within us and in Nature during the year, starting at Easter. These are well known to students of Steiner, but the original "Calendar " also had 12 Images of the Zodiac, to be meditated with each month to sense the working of the 'solar' forces in the cosmos in the day--- a listing of the Moon's phases & position in the signs each night for sensing the 'lunar' forces--- and a list of saints and other spiritual figures connected with specific days. Here's the Soul-Calendar' restored to its complete form for your use.

       *  M A N T R A  # 2 1  *

      Ich fühle fruchtend fremde Macht

      Sich stärkend mir mich selbst verleihn,

      Den Keim empfind ich reifend

      Und Ahnung lichtvoll weben

      Im Innern an der Selbstheit Macht.

      I feel bearing fruit a foreign Power

      Which strengthens me, my self to bestow,

      I sense the Seed ripening

      And a premonition of light-filled weaving together

      Of my Innermost onto the Selfhood's Might.

      This week's mantram:

          Last week one felt one's self for the first time since 'losing' it (in the Summer light & warmth); but along with this was an acute sense that one would perish along with all one's creations if built from that self alone. This week, the spiritual 'seed' that was planted in the summer 'waking dream-state' reaches a stage of ripening where it may begin to 'lend' to us a 'spiritual Self' instead; and we have a strong fore-sensing this will be able to join with the deepest inner forces which the ordinary self would not be able to tap into.

                                      **********************************
          The Sun, according to the Doctor, is under the influence of the constellation VIRGO from Sept. 8th to Oct. 12th  in our era. A symbolic image of the VIRGIN done by an artist from Steiner's sketches & indications is inserted below.

       Sunday, September 7th. Moon Aquarius. Regina.

      Monday,  September 8th. Moon Aquarius. Birth of Mary. Corbinianus, spreader of  Christianity in France & Germany in the 8th century

      Tuesday,  September 9th. Moon Pisces. 1828 Tolstoy born

      Wednesday,  September 10th. Moon Pisces. Full Moon. Sosthenus (by Paul made a leader).

      Thursday,  September 11th. Moon Aries. Abraham (Race-father of the Old Hebrew People).

      Friday,    September 12th. Moon Aries. Tobias.

      Saturday,  September 13th. Moon Taurus. 1872 the Philosopher Ludwig

                  Feuerbach died.

      P.S. Brilliant yellowish-red Mars, at its brightest doing its retrograde 'loop', dominates the night sky, visible in the Southwest from shortly after sunset, moving to directly south by about midnight. The Full Moon will be near it (and invisible Uranus) Tuesday and Wednesday nights.

      The verse for the Southern Hemisphere:

      *  M A N T R A  # 4 6  *

      Die Welt, sie drohet zu betäuben

      Der Seele eingeborene Kraft;

      Nun trete du, Erinnerung,

      Und stärke mir das Schauen

      Das nur durch Willenskräfte

      Sich selbst erhalten kann.

      The World, it threatens to benumb

      The Soul’s inborn strength;

      Now tread you, Memory,

      Out of Spirit-Deeps enlightening

      And make strong for me Vision,

      That only through Will-Strength

      Can preserve itself.

        We are heading towards spring and summer, when our inner selves once more

      sleep, while the Earth awakens. Last week, the power of thinking united with

      what was 'born' in us in midwinter, and made clear all the early spring

      stirrings of new life in the external world---we united with this "becoming" of

      Nature as we thought about what we perceived. This week, this surging new life

      in the outer world would 'benumb' our souls if the force of MEMORY didn't come in to play its proper role, that of preserving the Vision the spirit has had of what it wishes to create this year.