1778Calendar of the Soul, Week 15 after Easter

    Jul 27, 2003

        The "Calendar of the Soul"

      Rudolf Steiner gave out the 'Soul-Calendar' in 1912, 52 meditative mantras to enable us to experience the 'astral' (soul) events occurring within us and in Nature during the year, starting at Easter. These are well known to students of Steiner, but the original "Calendar " also had 12 Images of the Zodiac, to be meditated with each month to sense the working of the 'solar' forces in the cosmos in the day--- a listing of the Moon's phases & position in the signs each night for sensing the 'lunar' forces--- and a list of saints and other spiritual figures connected with specific days. Here's the Soul-Calendar' restored to its original complete form for your use.

      *  M A N T R A  # 1 5 *
      Ich fühle wie verzaubert
      Im Weltenschein des Geistes Weben
      Es hat in Sinnesdumpfheit
      Gehüllt mein Eigenwesen,
      Zu schenken mir die Kraft
      Die, ohnmächtig sich selbst zu geben,
      Mein Ich in seinen Schranken ist.

      I feel how enchanted
      Into World-Shining is the Spirit's Weaving:
      It has in Senses' Dimness
      Enclosed my Self-Essence
      To give me the Power:
      That, powerless myself to give
      My "I" in its boundaries is.

          The summer is when we are meant to lose ourselves in the play of light
      and warmth; then, from out of the Spirit revealed in the outer world, we are
      to find our "selves" again in the World-Self. This week the Spirit we
      experience through the beauty of the senses in the outer world has enwrapped
      itself around the Ego, which would otherwise be cut off from the world--- a
      "spell" cast over it which is unwrapped at Christmastime, which is the
      opposite verse to this week's.

                             **********************************
          The Sun, according to the Doctor, is under the influence of the constellation CANCER from July 21st to August 3rd in our era. A symbolic image of the CRAB done by an artist from Steiner's sketches & indications is inserted below.

      Sunday, July 27th. Moon Cancer.  Martha.

      Monday,  July 28th. Moon Leo. New Moon. 1750 Johann Seb. Bach died. 1794 Robespierre executed. 1804 Philosopher Ludwig Feuerbach born.

      Tuesday,  July 29th. Moon Leo. Simplicius. 1856 Robert Schumann died.

      Wednesday,  July 30th. Moon Virgo.  Ruth.

      Thursday,   July 31st. Moon Virgo.  1472 University of Munich founded. 1556 Ignatius von Loyola died. 1886 Franz Liszt died.

      Friday,   August 1st. Moon Virgo. Macabees. 1744 Natural Scientist Lamarck born.

      Saturday,  August  2nd. Moon Libra. Hannibal. 1832 Olcott born.

                   ***************************

      *  M A N T R A  # 4 0  *
      Und bin ich in den Geistestiefen,
      Erfüllt in meinen Seelengrunden
      Aus herzens Liebewelten,
      Der Eigenheiten leerer Wahn
      Sich mit dem Weltenwortes Feuerkraft.

      And when I am in the Spirit-Deeps,
      Fulfilled in my Soul's Ground
      Out of Heart's Love-World
      The selfhood's empty illusion
      Is with the World-Word's Fire-Strength.

        Last week we felt given over to the revelations coming from our inner Spirit to gain the experiencing of the Light that infuses the outer world, and the power of thinking (which we do with the spirit) gave us the feeling of ourselves as a reality in the world. This week, this reality of selfhood, which would otherwise remain an illusion, is made real by the fiery power of the World-Word, through Love.

      -Dr. Starman