1724The Holy Wars and the Crusades

    Jul 2, 2003
      Dear Group,

      As you can imagine, my proffessor was none to pleased with my essay
      on Afghanistan (posted at kcpost.net). He was especially
      "displeased" with the final paragraph where I very briefly state my
      views on the Holy Wars and he Crusades. He was taught to view the
      Holy Wars in the most negative light, as something to be ashamed of
      as a Christian. Here is what he wrote me today:

      "While Christianity today is basically a
      peaceful religion (with some exceptions -- e.g. Northern
      Ireland), it has not always been that way and the
      Crusades were known for being a violent time in the
      history of Chrisitianity. I've gone to church all of my
      life, and I don't think I've ever heard anyone look back
      on that time period with any fondness. Christianity has
      done many wonderful things, but history also shows that
      the church has also gone through some periods of
      violence and corruption. And while Christianity does
      have a better record with women than say the Islamic
      religion, the Bible has been used by many over time to
      hold women down. Christianity may have a better record
      with women, but the progress women have made has not
      been because of Christianity -- it's been outside of
      religion, and then religious institutions have followed
      suit by becoming more progressive. You are probably a
      person who doesn't like the exaggerations of others, and
      that's good, but you also want to be careful not to be
      guilty of exaggerating either. Thus I simply I urge you
      to end your essay with a more logical conclusion than
      what you have now."
    • Show all 3 messages in this topic