1702Calendar of the Soul-Week 6 After Easter

    May 25, 2003

         The "Calendar of the Soul"

        Rudolf Steiner gave out the 'Soul-Calendar', 52 meditative mantras to enable us to experience the 'astral' (soul) events occurring within and in outer Nature during the year, starting at Easter. These are well known to anthroposophists--- but the original "Calendar " also had 12 Images of the Zodiac, to be meditated with each month to sense the working of the 'solar' forces in the cosmos in the day, a listing of the Moon's phases & position in the signs each night for sensing the 'lunar' forces, and a list of saints and other spiritual figures connected with specific days. Here's the whole 'Soul-Calendar' restored to its original use.

      *   M A N T R A  #6 *
      Es ist erstanden aus der Eigenheit
      Mein Selbst und findet sich
      Als Weltenoffenbarung
      In Zeit- und Raumeskräften;
      Die Welt, sie zeigt mir überall
      Als göttlich Urbild
      Des eignen Abbilds Wahrheit.

      There has arisen out of my Egohood
      My Self and finds itself
      As World-Revelation
      In Time- and Space-forces;
      The World, it points out to me everywhere
      As godly Archetypal picture
      My own Image's truth.

      *******We can see that the spiritual essence working in Nature (as the
      transformation of spring goes on around us in time and space) is an image of
      our true Self-- which this week rises out of our ego-consciousness, to find
      itself mirrored there.

                              **********************************
           The Sun, according to the Doctor, is under the influence of the constellation TAURUS from May 1st to June 15th in our era. A symbolic image of the BULL done from Steiner's sketches & indications is inserted below,

      Sunday, May 25th. Moon Aries.   Laying of the Foundation Stone of the Strassbourg Monastery 1277.

      Monday,  May 26th. Moon Aries. The Venerable Bede (famous English monk of the 8th century).

      Tuesday,  May 27th. Moon Taurus. Maria of Magdala. Dante born 1265. Calvin died 1564.

      Wednesday, May 28th. Moon Taurus.   Wilhelm.

      Thursday, May 29th. Moon Taurus.  Christiana.

      Friday, May 30th. Moon Gemini. New Moon. The Maid of Orleans burnt 1431.

      Saturday, May 31st. Moon Gemini.  Angela.

      P.S. The Moon passes close to the planet Saturn Saturday night the 31st.

      *  M A N T R A  # 3 1  *

      Das Licht aus Geistestiefen,
      Nach aussen strebt es sonnenhaft:
      Es wird zur Lebenswillenskraft
      Und leuchtet in der Sinne Dumpfheit,
      Um Kräfte zu entbinden,
      Die Schaffensmächte aus Seelentrieben
      In Menschenwerke reifen lassen.

      The Light out of Spirit-Deeps
      Strives outwards like the Sun:
      It turns into Life-Will-Force
      And shines into the Senses' Dullness,
      The Powers to unbind,
      That Shaping-Might out of Soul-Drives
      In Man's Work will let ripen.

      This week's mantram:
      The season of Autumn is the time in which we are meant to develop Self (inner)-consciousness instead of the Nature (outer)-consciousness we had all Summer. Last week, we felt this growing thinking consciousness directing all our feelings from vagueness to certainty, as our summer soul-experience awakened fully. This week, the verse focuses our attention on the spiritual light of thinking and how it seeks to turn to the outer world, turning into will-forces for living, and illuminating the otherwise dull sense-existence, thus turning the blind urges of the soul into creatively-shaping forces.