1612Soul-Calendar, Week 49

    Mar 2, 2003
      The "Calendar of the Soul"
        The cycle of the year can be a meditation, and Dr. Steiner gave out the 'Calendar of the Soul' for this, 52 meditative mantras enabling us to experience the 'astral' (soul) events occurring within us and in outer Nature during the year. These verses are well known to many anthroposophists---- but the original Calendar published in 1912 also had 12 Images of the Zodiac, to be meditated with each month to sense the working of the 'solar' forces in the cosmos in the daytime, a listing of the Moon's phases and position in the constellations each night (for sensing the 'lunar' forces), and a list of saints and other spiritual figures connected with specific days of the week.
          Here is the whole 'Soul-Calendar' as it was meant to be used.
          First, the mantra in the original German and in translation:

      *  M A N T R A  # 4 9  *
      Ich fühle Kraft des Weltenseins:
      So spricht Gedankenklarheit,
      Gedenkend eignen Geistes Wachsen
      In finstern Weltennächten,
      Und neigt dem nahen Weltentage
      Des Innern Hoffnungsstrahlen.

      "I feel the Power of the World-Existence":
      So speaks Thinking's Clarity,
      Mindful of its own Spirit-Waxing
      In dark World-Night,
      And there draws closer in nearing World-Day
      The inner Rays of Hope.

      This week's mantra:
      We are heading towards spring, when our inner selves once more go to 'sleep', while the Earth instead awakens. Last week, we felt the growing Light resolve all the World-Riddles that make our minds anxious, and instead awakene Love in our hearts. This week, as we begin to sense the World once more awakening, we realize it's similar to how our own Self-knowledge grew stronger as we went into winter. We know that, just as we gained power from our experience of this winter, so there will come to affect us a power for the good in the coming summer, an outer one rather than inner, and that what we have hoped for in the coming year will manifest outside.

          ( The anthroposophic path uses symbolic images or 'Imaginations' to awaken spiritual 'sight' and mantras or 'Inspirations' to begin spiritual 'hearing'. The meaning of the words of a mantra at first sight is not all-important, but rather the reciting of it and entering with deeper soul-forces into its experience. These mantras were created in the German language and have their rhythms in that, so learning an English version is just a step to using the original; I've kept close to it in translating, so you can easily go from the meaning to the actual mantra. }

                              **********************************
           The Sun, according to the Doctor, is under the influence of AQUARIUS from February 9th to March 8th in our era. The symbolic image of the Water-Man done from Steiner's sketches & indications is inserted below.

      Sunday,    March 2nd. Moon Pisces. New Moon. 321 A.D. The celebration of Sunday begins to become common.

      Monday,    March 3rd. Moon Pisces. Kunigunder (husband Heinrich I).

      Tuesday,    March 4th. Moon Aries.  Leopold van Buch, Geologist, died 1853.

      Wednesday,   March 5th. Moon Aries. Eusebius (Christian writer of Caesarea in the 4th c.), 1512 Mercator the Cartographer born. 1827 Laplace died.

      Thursday,    March 6th. Moon Taurus. 1274 Thomas Aquinas died. 1475 Michelangelo born. 1520 Australia was discovered. 1787 Fraunhofer born.

      Friday,    March 7th. Moon Taurus.  Felicitas u. Perpetua (Christian martyr under the Emperor Severus, thrown to wild beasts in Alexandria).

      Saturday,  March 8th. Moon Taurus. Philemon (companion of Paul).

      *  M A N T R A  # 1 9 *
      Geheimnisvoll das Neu-Empfang'ne
      Mit der Erinnerung zu umschliessen,
      Sie meines Strebens weitrer Sinn: