      Sent: Friday, January 17, 2003 11:56 AM
      Subject: [steiner] Initiation, New Birth---Death & Rebirth

      When you undergo initiation on the spiritual path, you awaken the eternal element in you, and this makes your experience after death completely different. It also completely transforms the "little death" we experience each night: sleep and the dream state. The experience of initiation into the mysteries is both a death and a new birth. We give birth to a new self, after the old one dies. The soul itself is its mother, while the spirit is the child. This can happen to each and every one of us, if we seek to awaken the higher man within us---in fact, it MUST happen to us, if we would be truly human.

      Goethe: "And so long as you do not have this, 'Die and become!'
      You are but a troubled guest on this darkened earth."