1417Calendar of the Soul, Week 36 after Easter

    Dec 1, 2002
      The "Calendar of the Soul"
        The cycle of the year can be a meditation through which you can sense the Beings behind the seasons. Steiner gave out the 'Calendar of the Soul' for this, 52 meditative mantras enabling you to experience the 'astral' (soul) events occurring within you and in Nature during the year. These verses are well known to many anthroposophists---- but the original Calendar published in 1912 ALSO had 12 Images of the Zodiac (to be meditated with each month to sense the working of the 'solar' forces in the cosmos in the day), a listing of the Moon's phases and position in the constellations each night (for sensing the 'lunar' forces), and a list of saints and other spiritual figures connected with specific days of the week. We're presenting the whole Calendar as it was meant to be used here for the first time since 1912.
          We begin with the mantra in the original German and in translation:

      *  M A N T R A  # 3 6  *
      In meines Wesens Tiefen spricht
      Zur Offenbarung drangend
      Geheimnisvoll das Weltenwort:
      Erfulle deiner Arbeit Ziele
      Mit meinem Geisteslicht
      Zu opfern dich durch mich.

      "In my Being's Deeps speaks
      Urging me to Revelation
      Mysteriously the World-Word:
      'Fulfill your Work's Objectives
      With My Spirit-Light
      To offer yourself up through Me' "

      This week's mantram:
          Throughout the Fall our Self-Consciousness grows. As we near Winter, this awareness grew to the point last week that we sought to so know the world that it was IT, not just the self, which worked creatively in us, and felt power lent us to so BE one with the world. This week, the divine world speaks in the soul's depths in a way we can sense, saying that if our deeds will be filled with its Light, we can be its channels to others, offering ourselves through it.

           The anthroposophic path uses symbolic images ("Imaginations") to awaken spiritual sight and mantras ("Inspirations") to begin spiritual hearing. The meaning of the words of a mantra at first sight is not important, but rather reciting it and entering with deeper soul-forces into its inner experience.
         Also, these mantras were created in the German language and have their rhythms in that, so learning an English version is just a step to using the original; I’ve kept close to it in translating, so anyone can easily go from English to German.

                                            **********************************
           The Sun, according to the Doctor, is under the influence of Sagittarius from Dec. 1st to Jan. 4th in our era. The symbolic image of the 'Archer' done from Steiner's sketches & indications is inserted below.

      Sunday, December 1st. Moon Scorpio.  Longinus. (First Sunday of Advent.)

      Monday, December 2nd. Moon Scorpio.  Cortez died 1547.

      Tuesday, December 3rd. Moon Sagittarius.  St. Francis Xavier.

      Wednesday, December 4th. Moon Sagittarius. New Moon.  Thomas Carlyle born 1795. Galvani died 1798.

      Thursday, December 5th. Moon Capricorn.  Mozart died 1791.

      Friday, December 6th. Moon Capricorn.  Nikolaus (Legend: A father, on the way to Hunger and Poverty, was going to hand over his three daughters to shamefulness; Nikolaus discovered this and at night threw a bundle of gold through the man's window, enough to provide his three daughters with a dowry and for the man to live on. From this the tradition, that on this day we give gifts to children.) Max Muller the Orientalist born 1833.

      Saturday, December 7th. Moon Aquarius.  First German railroad opened 1835.

      *   M A N T R A  #6 *
      Es ist erstanden aus der Eigenheit
      Mein Selbst und findet sich
      Als Weltenoffenbarung
      In Zeit- und Raumeskräften;
      Die Welt, sie zeigt mir überall
      Als goöttlich Urbild
      Des eignen Abbilds Wahrheit.

      There has arisen out of my Egohood
      My Self and finds itself
      As World-Revelation
      In Time- and Space-forces;
      The World, it points out to me everywhere
      As godly Archetypal picture
      My own Image's truth.