1311Calendar of the Soul, Week 31 after Easter

    Oct 26, 2002
      The "Calendar of the Soul"
        The cycle of the year can be a meditation through which you can sense the Beings behind the changing of the seasons. Steiner gave out the 'Calendar of the Soul' to use for this, 52 meditative mantras enabling you to consciously experience the 'astral' (soul) events occurring within you and in Nature during the year. These verses are well known to many anthroposophists---- but the original Calendar published in 1912 ALSO had 12 Images of the Zodiac (to be meditated with each month to sense the working of the 'solar' forces in the cosmos in the day), a listing of the Moon's phases and position in the constellations each night (for sensing the 'lunar' forces), and a list of saints and other spiritual figures connected with specific days of the week. We're presenting all that here. As far as we know this is the first time this has been done since 1912.
          We begin with the mantra in the original German and in translation:

      * M A N T R A # 3 1 *

      Das Licht aus Geistestiefen,
      Nach aussen strebt es sonnenhaft:
      Es wird zur Lebenswillenskraft
      Und leuchtet in der Sinne Dumpfheit,
      Um Kräfte zu entbinden,
      Die Schaffensmächte aus Seelentrieben
      In Menschenwerke reifen lassen.

      The Light out of Spirit-Deeps
      Strives outwards like the Sun:
      It turns into Life-Will-Force
      And shines into the Senses' Dullness,
      The Powers to unbind,
      That Shaping-Might out of Soul-Drives
      In Man's Work will let ripen.

      The anthroposophic path uses symbolic images ("Imaginations") to awaken spiritual sight and mantras ("Inspirations") to begin spiritual hearing. The meaning of the words of a mantra at first sight is not important, but rather reciting it and entering with deeper soul-forces into its inner experience.
      Also, these mantras were created in the German language and have their rhythms in that, so learning an English version is just a step to using the original; I’ve kept close to it in translating, so anyone can easily go from English to German.

      This week's mantra:
      The season of Autumn is the Michaelmas time, in which we are meant to develop Self (inner)-consciousness instead of the Nature (outer)-consciousness we had all Summer. Last week, we felt this growing thinking consciousness directing all our feelings from vagueness to certainty, as our summer soul-experience awakened fully. This week, the verse focuses our attention on the spiritual light of thinking and how it seeks to turn to the outer world, turning into will-forces for living and illuminating the otherwise dull sense-existence, and thus turning the blind urges of the soul into creatively-shaping forces.

                                **********************************
           The Sun, according to the Doctor, is under the influence of Libra from Oct. 13th to Nov. 9th in our era. The symbolic image of the 'Scales' done from Steiner's sketches & indications is inserted below.

      Sunday, October 27th. Moon Cancer. Sabina.
      Monday, October 28th. Moon Leo. Last Quarter. Simeon and Judas (relatives of Jesus). 1704 John Locke died. 1466 Erasmus of Rotterdam born.
      Tuesday, October 29th. Moon Leo. Narcissus.
      Wednesday, October 30th. Moon Virgo. Claudius.
      Thursday, October 31st. Moon Virgo. Wolfgang.
        Friday, November 1st. Moon Libra. Catholic Festival of All Hallows (became since the seventh century celebrated,  as an imitation of the worship that was used in the Pantheon in Rome for all the heathen Gods. The Pantheon was given to Pope Boniface IV by Caesar Photius and consecrated to all the Holies.)
      Saturday, November 2nd. Moon Libra. Festival of All Souls (since 1020 as a Catholic Festival established).

      The verse for the Southern Hemisphere this week:
          This week is the first Sunday following the first Full Moon following the autumnal equinox. Therefore this is 'Easter' in the Southern Hemisphere. This week's mantra therefore begins the cycle with the first, the Easter, mantra of the soul-calendar.

      * M A N T R A #1 (EASTER)  *
      Wenn aus den Weltenweiten
      Die Sonne spricht zum Menschensinn
      Und Freude aus den Seelenteifen,
      Dem Licht sich eint im Schauen,
      Dann ziehen aus der Selbstheit Hülle
      Gedanken in die Raumesfernen
      Und binden dumpf
      Des Menschen Wesen und des Geistes Sein.

      When out of the Wide World
      The Sun speaks to Man's Senses
      And Joy out of Soul's Depths
      Becomes one with Light in vision,