1018Re: [steiner] Openness

    Jul 1, 2002
      freewill42@... writes:
      > I would recommend a small book called "Sacred Initiations" by Michael Mandeville....
      > In it there are good insights into the "relationships" of Christ, Krishna, Buddha, and even Islam, that are put forth in an ecumenical spirit that is worth considering. Even more beneficial, however, are the instructions on the breath and meditation that help the individual develop his/her own path of openness to the divine.

      *******The old Theosophical Society was wide open to everything in an ecumenical spirit. Unfortunately this often results in reducing the Christ Being to the same level as anyone else; but anthroposophy teaches this is not so. So we bear the accusation of being dogmatic or whatever, because we have to affirm the Christ as the Spirit behind all religions, as Edgar Cayce also put it. It's not the same as the Father-God that all religions recognize, and the man Jesus was not a teacher the same as Confucius or someone. We have to say this because we must recognize its truth, since we meet the Christ on the Path of Initiation. This certainly doesn't mean that what's called the Christian religion today is better than others: Steiner summed up his point of view in the title of one lecture, "Christianity Began As A Religion But It Is Greater Than All Religions." The Christ having come into the earth through his Resurrection has provided an actual force that everyone meets on the Path, and it's important to recognize what it is. Some ancient religions recognize it, some don't.

      The other thing spiritual science teaches is that we need to develop body-free thinking in the modern era. Concentrating on the breath brings you more into the body, not less. If one takes a non-physical reality like a mantra or image and meditates on it, the breath will regularize of itself, and this is better for most modern people. If this sounds dogmatic, well, just try it and see. This is a science after all, not a religion. Compare both methods and try to objectively examine the results. It's not that one is right or wrong but one may have the efect you want in this incarnation while the other may not.

      > golden3000997@... wrote:
      > Hello Starman and Everyone!!
      > I have been following with interest this current discussion...
      > Steiner never put down any philosophy or really any practice.
      > I found Steiner circuitously through Yoga and I still find great value in Yogic teachings and practices. I think it helpful to consider yoga's evolution since the fall of
      > Atlantis and maybe re-evaluate the breathing as meditation practices since we all have lungs now. But hey, deep breathing is still good for you!
      > I have pictures of Krishna in my kitchen and hope eventually to evolve into being able to refrain from all meat products (I can't or won't yet - but its coming!) From my understanding and current personal belief system, Krishna was a pre-Christian manifestation - not Incarnation - of Christ. It's not a question for me of either/ or, it's a question of the most extreme gratitude to Steiner for putting together all of the "seemingly" disparate pieces of the cosmic puzzle. In "The Gospel of St. Luke" which has the most wonderful information on the Two Jesus Children, there is also the most wonderful
      > description of Christ as the Vishnu Karma, the giver of Karma, surrounded by the twelve Boddhisatvas, of which Gautama Buddha was/ is one, meditating on HIM.
      > In the introduction to the Bhagavad Gita, it is told that Krishna gave the instruction of the spiritual science of the universe and beyond to Manu, which is another name for Noah, the leader of the exodus from Atlantis. It has also been many years since I read "The Bhagavad-Gita and the Epistles of
      > St. Paul" by Rudolf Steiner, but I will probably be taking
      > another look again soon. Don't forget please, his "From Buddha to Christ".
    • Show all 12 messages in this topic